Dyeing On Retreat

This past weekend I attended my first ever knitting retreat. And it was 100% virtual. I sent PB and Jellybean to the grandparents for the weekend and took the WHOLE weekend to myself and knitting. For those with inquiring minds, it was the 5th annual Nomad Yarns Retreat normally held in Indiana. I got a wild hair because I was disappointed about Knitting in Heartland being cancelled back in April. So I dove in and I’m glad I did. I’ll do a complete retreat review post but I was so excited about one of the classes I couldn’t wait to share!

We did a sock yarn dyeing class for “instant” dyed yarn. I can’t even begin to describe the genius that this was. But Dave, the dyer for Nomad Yarn, firgured out how to load dye into gel capsules and ship a dye kit to me that only required gloves and a plastic container. You guys, it was was wild! I layered yarns and dye capsules and poured hot water over the whole sheband and boom…..I made pretty yarn.

We had yellow, safety orange, deep red and purple. And it made this most beautiful variegated skeins with super color splotches. The sock yarn base is Dyed By Ewe in their Sultry Steps base. It’s 40% Llama, 40% merino and 20% nylon and feels DIVINE. The skein is dry and I have it re-packaged. I have zero clue what to do with it so I’m just going to enjoy my beautiful treasure.

This was my first “real” dye project with profession dye. And I didn’t mess it up and my skeins is one of a kind and mine all mine! I think Nomad is going to make this up into a kit you can order and do at home. I will for SURE order another one of these kits and do with my kiddos.

Happy Knitting!!

Easter Dyeing Project

I just couldn’t quite bring myself to waste the leftover Easter egg dye. And we are all still “sheltering in place” here in the State of Kansas so why not try a new craft? I dashed down to my stash and pulled some muslin scraps and some white Cascade sock yarn and started soaking both in a vinegar and water bath.

Once they were soaked we lightly rinsed them and laid them out. Jellybean helped me add rubber bands to the fabric. And then we waited until PB went down for her nap because I know better than to mix messy stain inducing crafts with a 23rd month old!

Jellybean was in charge of the colors and the placement of the dye. We had discussions of the color wheel and complimentary and contrasting colors. We make sure to turn our work and get the dye every where. (Thank god for plastic wrap!)

I then took the helm for the yarn dyeing. I took the skein and lowered sections into each of the five colors. Jellybean got to be in charge of pushing the skeins down with spoons. We totally on a scientific basis decided to let them soak for 7 minutes. I did zero research before starting this project. We literally just winged it and did what felt appropriate.

After the timer went off we pulled it out onto a pan. Then carefully under Jellybean’s watch we used the remaining liquid to blend the color sections. It was harder than expected and we ended up using some paper towels in the middle to catch the dye liquid form ruining other sections as it ran. We weren’t 100% successful but close enough for these novices.

We definitely have some white sections left on the yarn as it was hard to get complete coverage using solo cups and just pouring liquid over the yarn. I heat set this yarn and fabric in the microwave for 3 min and left to dry.

They are both still hanging fully dry in my basement as life took over. I’ll try to see if Jellybean is interested in helping do a FO photo shoot this week. I mean….we’ve got nowhere to go!