Yarn: Yak Sock in Hectate color by Moonstone Dyeworks
Needles: US 2s
I know I was working the instructions for the adult large but I do think I added like 10 extra increases to the stich count. That means I should have gone up a needle size. The fabric leans to the firmer side. But it’s a lovely super warm hat. And the subtle tonality of the browns and greys is gorgeous.
This hat isn’t necessarily long enough to cuff up but it fits just fine as a standard beanie. This is a keeper for my woolen drawer. Mother Nature here in Kansas is wildly swinging from negative temps to the high forties. So my need for a warm hat is variable, lol.
I recently finished my Goth Kitty Worsted hat so I decided to get the matching socks cooking on the needles. This is also Knit Picks Felici, just the sock yarn. It matches the worsted really well.
I cast on my normal sock recipe of 68 stitches on a toe up vanilla sock. I think I will do an afterthought heel on these to preserve the striping sequence. I binge watched Murder She Wrote and busted out a full striping sequence and a half!
Self striping sock yarn is so potato chippy for me. I just can’t put it down until I finish a color and then of course I need to do “just one more”. Which I guess is good for my knitting production, lol.
My vanilla stockinette projects seem be taking most of my attention here lately but I have made some barely there progress on my Around Every Corner shawl.
I am still in the first section that uses the main color. My main color is some oldl/deep stash of Cascade sock yarn in a green color. The pattern isn’t complicated but does require counting to make sure I create the correct number of increases. It just hasn’t “calling to me” from the WIP pile.
It may need to marinate for a bit? Happy Knitting!!
On the road again….just can’t wait to NOT be on the road again! But I guess the upside is that my Musselburgh is making some really good progress. I’m ready to start the decreases!
The catch is that I hope I don’t play yarn chicken. I have approximately 11 grams left which the pattern and internet tell me should be enough. But that floppy mess of yarn looks AWFULLY small, lol.
I am really loving this yak blend yarn. It has a nice soft feel to the fabric and because the fiber naturally starts with a darker color there is a lot of depth to the dyework. This is a skein of Yak Sock in the Hectate color from Moonstone Dyeworks. I would definitely buy this base again.
As PB and Jellybean are growing up we are spending more time playing games here lately. One of my favorites is Knitting The Card game. It’s still beyond PBs capability but Jellybean does okay. So I splurged on the expansion pack!
A few fun stickers and a pin may have also jumped in my cart. Ooops!
I purposely ended with a complete striping sequence for not other reason than whimsy. I used all but 26 yards of this 218 yard skein. It is a decent sized that can roll the brim or be worn slouchy.
In my stash I have matching Knit Picks Felici sock yarn in this same color. So next up in my knitting plans is to knit up some vanilla socks to have a matched set. I haven’t decided if I’m going to keep the set or put in my gift box. The matchy matchy is just filling some sort of need in my crafting brain.
I only did a little bit of gift crafting this past December and it was mostly crochet. I had picked some Red Heart Scrubby up on sale from Joanns for some kitchen cloths. I was pretty happy with what came out!
No plan, no pattern I just chained a whole bunch and worked the cloth in half double crochet. I crocheted until I used half the skein of yarn and cast of. Then I would make a matching one with the last half of the skein.
I gifted these to my coworkers as a little post Christmas pick me up. It felt good to share a little cheer with people I see everyday!
I have been sneaky spinning some 100% Romney I pulled from my donated stash. I started with a pretty large amount of fiber as it was 7.8 ounces. I let the fiber tell me what to do and I spun the roving with a pinch and pull method. I didn’t even grab any in progress spinning photos, I just couldn’t put this one down!
I ended up filling two bobbins without really having measured or splitting the fiber. After resting the singles I started plying them as two ply. I filled one bobbing and had to start a second one! This was for sure my biggest spin thus far. I did have a little bit of singles left on one bobbing so I three plied it back onto itself to finish it out.
In the end I created two 100 gram worsted to light bulky weight skeins that had roughly 328 total yards. And the small three ply mini was 15 grams and just under 17 yards of a bulky. All skeins got washed, whacked and finished. I was surprised at the amount of grime that came out of this relatively light colored wool.
New Year and new cast on! I had some training this week so I decided that a basic beanie was the way to go. I grabbed the skein of Knit Picks Felici worsted, mostly because I required no winding, lol
I cast on 80 stitches on a US 8 needle. I worked 2×2 ribbing until it looked good. I didn’t really have a pattern in mind. The goal was to stay awake while listening to a four hour lecture. The good news is that four hours is enough time to get 60% of a hat done!
I think I need two more color stripes and then I can start the decreases! Happy Knitting!!
Every behind the curve I decided to use my Queen City Yarn advent calendar to make the pattern it came with. It is Perpetual Hope by Kino Knits. I am still in Clue one……lol.
The yarn is sock weight and variegated in nature. I have already peaked at others FOs and I’m willing to give this one a try. If I get into it and I fall out of love I will frog back these minis for something else.
Oh, and the stitch markers were included with advent calendar. They are wooden, beautiful and lightweight. Perfect for a shawl project!