Yarn: The Shepherd’s Mill 2-ply sport in Light Yellow and Aqua
Needles: US 4 and 5
Mods: One accidental error in the colorwork chart that I consciously chose not to go back and fix.
The crown decreases went fairly well. I had a few tension problems around the centered decreases. But after all the trials around this hat I just wanted to be done. This dark version of the pattern is the smaller size so this hat technically fits me it is definitely better suited for PB or Jellybean.
I would knit this pattern again, but I think I need a break to get over my frustrations around this version. Totally on me as the knitter and not an issue of the pattern. Happy Friday and Happy Knitting!!
So as not to lose to steam, I got my second Connection Beanie on the needles right away. This time the dark version.
I managed to get the long tail cast on on the second try and get it joined in the round without twisting it on the first try. It’s just slow going with the designers choice in ribbing. It’s beautiful but it requires me to pay attention and I don’t have a lot of that right now. It’s all a mental game and I’m doing my best not to get stalled out.
Yarn: The Shepherd’s Mill 3 ply Sport in yellow and blue
Needles: US 4 and 5s
The slip stitch colorwork was a dream and I finished in one night. The decreases caused me a little more grief. I ended up with more stiches than I was supposed to in one of the sections. In my true fashion, I just fudged some extra decreases and made it work. You literally cannot tell!
I have quite a bit of yarn leftover so my plan is to cast on the second version in the pattern, the dark version. I just have to hype myself up for the 20 rounds of special ribbing first…
My Connections Beanie is absolutely cruising along. I am working on reading the chart and not using the written directions. It is taking my brain a minute to click in but I’m getting there.
The main body of this hat is worked on a larger needle than the brim. I actually remembered to switch! I am also being careful to not pull the slipped stitches too hard to keep the overall tension the same.
I am finding that I don’t want to put this project down. ‘Just one more chart row’ has run through my mind many times. I have hopes that this hat will be done quickly….
I have powered through all the 1×1 ribbing and the setup for the main body of the Connections Beanie!
I thought this would be my first time working colorwork….it’s not. I got out the chart and this is just slipped stiches so its more mosaic than anything. Oh well, it will still be pretty! I am working the larger of the Connections Beanie.
I am not super great at reading charts so I am very glad there are really good pattern photos so I can tell if I’m staying on track, lol. Happy Knitting!!
I have decided its time to dip my toe into colorwork. I have avoided it up until now for now good reason other than I wasn’t ready to learn. But I have two skeins of DK from The Shepherd’s Mill that have been calling to me to combine.
I have my pattern printed, needles pulled and I just need to wind the skeins up. The pattern comes with a light and dark version. I plan to cast on the light version first with the hopes that I could squeak out a dark version with the colors reversed? Might be a bold plan for my first colorwork project and expecting that much yardage management, lol.
Happy 4th of July to all my American friends. The kiddos and I have plans to set off a few fireworks and make a TON of s’mores later. But for now I have Jellybean helping me model my latest finished object, my GFOA Conference Hat!
Pattern: My own 80 stitch beanie with an improvised pony tail hole
Yarn: Urth Uneek Worsted
Needles: US 8s
I didn’t use up the full skein. This hat only used 156 yards or just about 70% of the skein. So I have a pretty decent chunk leftover of this skein. Too much to throw away but not enough to make a hole project.
Now, Jellybean doesn’t exactly have a pony tail to model so you will have to use your imagination. But It’s a nice fit and I think this will be a keeper for our winter hat bin. The folded brim is keenly warm and the stripes make me happy.
Now I’m off to relax and celebrate. Happy Knitting!!
I cruised through the body of my GFOA Conference Hat and worked through the decreases. I was hanging out at my parents house when I got to the point where my circular needles were to big to continue. But I didn’t want to be done knitting! So my Aunt suggested I just finish it as is!
So I did a modified K2tog, K1 and repeat cast off to finish the pony tail hole. It doesn’t have a ton of stretch at the cast off but my pony tail fit threw the hole just fine. I still need to weave in the ends and give this thing a wash/block. Finished object photos coming soon!
I did some knitting in the wild this week. Our local zoo has a special exhibit this spring and its DINOSAURS. I’m talking life sized animatronic dinosaurs and cool displays all over the campus.
Jellybean and PB ran their butts off and wore themselves out. So I got to walk (run) behind them with my Christmas Musselburgh hat. I haven’t measured in awhile but surely I have to be getting close to the decreases.
This project works out great, it serves as its own travel bag! I tucked my ball of yarn inside the work so I could walk around without lugging a bunch of stuff, lol. I did raise a few eyebrows taking this photo but I like to confuse the muggles!
Pattern: None, just my ‘recipe’ for a worsted hat. I can on 88 stitches total with a blend of 2×2 rib and then stockinette. Make up the crown decreases when I get there
Needles: US 8s
Yarn: Lilliput Woof Worsted in Puppy Love colorway
I am getting fairly confident on just winging these hats. I have been ending up with a nice slouchy hat that can also function with a folded brim. This one is definitely a gift knit. I have an ex-coworker who is amazing but has moved away. I think I will tuck this in a package with some homemade jelly and send her a care package.