After finishing my shorties last week, I found myself with no socks on the needles and a date night planned with my hubby. I conned him into taking me to The Lost City with Sandra Bulluck and Channing Tatum. So I hurriedly grabbed the first sock yarn I found and got a sock toe cast on.
This is a skein of String Theory Inertia Self Striping in the Stark Effect colorway. Its very neon and very spring/easter-y. I LOVE IT. And this much sock is exactly one movie’s worth of stockinette in the round.
I think I will knit a sock tube and cuff and then add an all black heel as a contrast. This project is just making me so happy. I will be sad when this one is over and might have to order another skein of this colorway…..
The second heel breezed right along this week and now I have a FO to share! My Paintbox Socks, Take Two are done and ready for the sock drawer.
Pattern: A basic 64 stitch vanilla sock make a sock snake/tube
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks OOAK Paintbox color
Needles: US 1s for cuffs, toes and heels
I used up almost every bit of the remaining sock snake that equated to roughly 195 yards of the main color. The contrast heels are from a Knitting Fever Teenie Weenie Wool mini where I used about 30 yards. So all in all, these shorties are just over 200 yards.
The fit is pretty good but like the first pair, I need to test these in some shoes to see how they perform. And in the meantime, I need to find my next pair of socks to start knitting! Happy Knitting!!
The first sock heel is complete. I do a modified afterthought heel where I add extra plain rows at the beginning of the heel to add depth. I have a high instep and this extra fabric makes for a better fit. I didn’t invent this, but I have knit enough socks to figure out what works for me.
I need to finish the second heel and then I will I have a second pair of shorties done in as many days! Gotta love knitting from machine knit socks tubes. Happy Knitting!!
I have actually added several squares since I last showed you all. If you look SUPER close you can see the progress marker on the row second from the right about 2/3 of the way up on the dark pink square. So rough count, I’ve added almost 12 squares.
It feels good to work on something easy and to touch some of these scraps again. The blanket is pretty large at this point and keeps my lap comfy warm. I will finish my current row and maybe measure what size I am at.
The chaos continues and I decided to take some time out for me this past weekend. My kids were visiting family and I had the TV to myself. It was glorious!
This self care session was brought to you by a class of red blend wine, some lavender scented candles and my Paintbox Socks, Take Two. The tubes are all done except for the afterthought heels. I did pause for a second to think “should I really be cutting my knitting while drinking wine” and then did it anyway!.
I did some knitting in the wild this week. Our local zoo has a special exhibit this spring and its DINOSAURS. I’m talking life sized animatronic dinosaurs and cool displays all over the campus.
Jellybean and PB ran their butts off and wore themselves out. So I got to walk (run) behind them with my Christmas Musselburgh hat. I haven’t measured in awhile but surely I have to be getting close to the decreases.
This project works out great, it serves as its own travel bag! I tucked my ball of yarn inside the work so I could walk around without lugging a bunch of stuff, lol. I did raise a few eyebrows taking this photo but I like to confuse the muggles!
After the first Standed Paintbox socks fell off my needles, I felt empowered to finish the sock tube and make another pair!
I managed to unwind the waste yarn from one end and use the live stitches from the opposite to unravel and re-knit two cuffs. My plan is to then split the snack in half to separate the two socks.
I am undecided at this point if I will rip back the exposed ends and re-knit toes or if I will add contrasting toe. I think I have enough sock tube to work with but I am decisioned out this week with work taking so much of my brain. I think I will set this aside until the decision comes to me!
I was a little nervous these wouldn’t fit as they are cranked sock tubes with only a 64 stitch count around. Normally I make my socks 68 stitches if I’m working on US 1 needles and 72 if I am working on US 0s. But these seem to fit just fine.
There is about 1.5/2 inches of leg/cuf above the heel. So I need to wear these inside some shoes to see how they stay up and if they slide down. The negative ease in this pair should help with that.
I used just over 50 grams of yarn for these which equates to 246 yards or half the sock tube. I am confident that I can get a second pair out of this snake if I make contrasting heels!
Pattern: None, just my ‘recipe’ for a worsted hat. I can on 88 stitches total with a blend of 2×2 rib and then stockinette. Make up the crown decreases when I get there
Needles: US 8s
Yarn: Lilliput Woof Worsted in Puppy Love colorway
I am getting fairly confident on just winging these hats. I have been ending up with a nice slouchy hat that can also function with a folded brim. This one is definitely a gift knit. I have an ex-coworker who is amazing but has moved away. I think I will tuck this in a package with some homemade jelly and send her a care package.
The first sock is complete and I just have about 10 rounds left to finish the second sock. I decided to make these shortie socks because I don’t have many of those in my drawer. And because I am using a cranked sock tube I would be able to get TWO pairs of socks out of the tube.
I decided to make these all homogenous and not use any contrast. Likely I will need to dip into contrast for the second pair. But given my busy work season and low mojo…it has felt GREAT to notch an easy win with these!