Thanks to some TV show binging my Stark Effect Socks are complete save for the Kitchener on the toes!
The good news is that I’m getting fairly proficient at grafting. The bad news, I can’t find any of my tapestry needles so I need to either clean or buy more, lol!
These socks have just brought me so much joy to watch the bright colors pop. I did in the end decide to use the rainbow yarn for the heels. Probably would have looked cooler with black but I couldn’t be bothered to put in that effort. I just want these socks on my feet!
Motherhood means stealing stitches where you can. PB and Jellybean are finally old enough to play fairly independently at the park. So to celebrate seeing the sun for the first time in a week we hit the local playground. I had a large iced coffee and my Stark Effect Socks.
I made super good progress on sock number two. I am through the full tube and almost done with the ribbing. I need one more black stripe and then to knit and cast off in the dark purple. I have been knitting for 12 ish years and it never ceases to amaze me how fast self-striping yarn feels like it knits up.
After finishing my shorties last week, I found myself with no socks on the needles and a date night planned with my hubby. I conned him into taking me to The Lost City with Sandra Bulluck and Channing Tatum. So I hurriedly grabbed the first sock yarn I found and got a sock toe cast on.
This is a skein of String Theory Inertia Self Striping in the Stark Effect colorway. Its very neon and very spring/easter-y. I LOVE IT. And this much sock is exactly one movie’s worth of stockinette in the round.
I think I will knit a sock tube and cuff and then add an all black heel as a contrast. This project is just making me so happy. I will be sad when this one is over and might have to order another skein of this colorway…..
The second heel breezed right along this week and now I have a FO to share! My Paintbox Socks, Take Two are done and ready for the sock drawer.
Pattern: A basic 64 stitch vanilla sock make a sock snake/tube
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks OOAK Paintbox color
Needles: US 1s for cuffs, toes and heels
I used up almost every bit of the remaining sock snake that equated to roughly 195 yards of the main color. The contrast heels are from a Knitting Fever Teenie Weenie Wool mini where I used about 30 yards. So all in all, these shorties are just over 200 yards.
The fit is pretty good but like the first pair, I need to test these in some shoes to see how they perform. And in the meantime, I need to find my next pair of socks to start knitting! Happy Knitting!!
The first sock heel is complete. I do a modified afterthought heel where I add extra plain rows at the beginning of the heel to add depth. I have a high instep and this extra fabric makes for a better fit. I didn’t invent this, but I have knit enough socks to figure out what works for me.
I need to finish the second heel and then I will I have a second pair of shorties done in as many days! Gotta love knitting from machine knit socks tubes. Happy Knitting!!
I was a little nervous these wouldn’t fit as they are cranked sock tubes with only a 64 stitch count around. Normally I make my socks 68 stitches if I’m working on US 1 needles and 72 if I am working on US 0s. But these seem to fit just fine.
There is about 1.5/2 inches of leg/cuf above the heel. So I need to wear these inside some shoes to see how they stay up and if they slide down. The negative ease in this pair should help with that.
I used just over 50 grams of yarn for these which equates to 246 yards or half the sock tube. I am confident that I can get a second pair out of this snake if I make contrasting heels!
The first sock is complete and I just have about 10 rounds left to finish the second sock. I decided to make these shortie socks because I don’t have many of those in my drawer. And because I am using a cranked sock tube I would be able to get TWO pairs of socks out of the tube.
I decided to make these all homogenous and not use any contrast. Likely I will need to dip into contrast for the second pair. But given my busy work season and low mojo…it has felt GREAT to notch an easy win with these!
I realized over the weekend that I didn’t show off my full Goth Kitty set of hat and socks!
As a recap, I knit a hat out of Knit Picks Felici in the worsted weight and I just finished sock in the Knit Picks Felici sock yarn. I really feel like the set worked out well! The colors really match well across the different bases.
I have tucked both into my woolen drawer for the next time I need to be toasty! Happy Knitting!!
My mojo is creeping back in around the edges and I picked up my Goth Kitty socks to finish the second vanilla tube and it flew off the needles.
I think the last time I showed these off, I just had the second toe worked out. I zoomed right up the second sock and did my dandiest to match the increases from the first sock. It’s always easier to make them up on the first one then to match the second one, lol.
Now I just need to cut my knitting and get the second afterthought heel installed. Then I will have a finished pair of socks!
After finishing the first sock of my Goth Kitty Vanilla Socks, I started the toe for the second. I had my annual mammogram and managed this week baby toe while waiting.
I will admit that I pulled out the second skein and purposely started with the same stripe in the sequence on sock number two. This way my socks will match. Now, they won’t be a row by row match but close enough for an muggle looking at my feet.