My memory blanket has seen some knitting time this early. I treated myself to a professional pedicure and then snuggled up under my WIP while watching podcasts. It was an all too short self care session but every little bit helps.
If my schedule and daylight cooperates, I will try to get outside and take some pictures of the full blanket in natural light. My mom commented when she saw it that it looks like the Technicolor Dreamcoat from the musical, lol.
Despite my hesitations about this project I did manage to finish my second scrappy marl hat. My second Scrappy Marl is done, blocked and photographed. In the end, I’m okay with this project but still largely “meh” about it.
Yarn: A whole bunch of tiny sock yarn scraps with no real scheme
Mods: I upped the needle sizes by 2 in order to get a bigger hat than my first one.
This hat ended up using just over 300 yards of sock yarn. I think I used up all but four of my tiny balls of sock. I consider it “tiny” when its under 5 grams. So this was a great stash buster for me.
Just as in my first one I used a spit splice to join all my ends so I didn’t have 1,000 ends to weave in ends. My kiddos laughed at me because I legit used a balloon to block this hat. I inflated the balloon inside this hat and set out to dry. They couldn’t wait for it to dry so they could have the balloon, lol.
This FO is definitely going into the donate pile. It is a fine hat but I just don’t love the chaos of colors. But it is still a functioning hat and will keep a head warm. The yarn is all superwash so I would feel comfortable donating this to a local shelter or other charity.
I have some more colors added to my Scrappy Marl #2. I’m drifting a little more away from “ugly” but I’m not sure I would call this elegant by any means.
I have another inch to add and then I will be ready for the decreases. I only have about 5 small balls of scraps left in my bag. So that is thrilling to get odds and ends used up into something useful. I am determined to finish this project before I hold judgement on its final aesthetics.
I do love this pattern and its simple instruction. Ten out of ten I would make this again to use up scraps or mini skeins. Happy Knitting!!
While my needles and project bag were still at hand I did cast on a second Scrappy Marl. I tried to group my tiny scraps into coordinating pairs to use when I hold them double. So far I am not convinced about this project….its reading a bit more “ugly” than “chaotic” to me.
My husband told me to put my OCD brain on hold and wait until I have added all the colors added in. He thinks it will all blend more when I get some other colors added in. He could be right but my sequential and orderly brain just rebels against this, lol.
For sure this hat will go into the gift/donation bin. While I am confident I can make this into a perfectly serviceable hat….I don’t see myself keeping or wearing this one. But I am jazzed about how many tiny balls of scraps are disappearing from my stash!
A happy Memorial Day to all those in the US. I am taking advantage of the long weekend to cast on a scrappy project I have been dreaming of for a minute. My Scrappy Marl is on the needles and flying along.
This project holds sock yarn double so it is really chewing through scraps. And yes, I am purposely planning my yarns. I am moving from light to dark in a pseudo rainbow. I’m blending purples and reds right now.
So far I am super pleased. It does feel a little small and tight, but I think blocking will do a world of good on this project. It is a lot of super wash yarn so its going to grow. For my sanity I am spit splicing or Russian joining the ends as I add new colors. No way I want to weave in 100 ends on a scrappy project, lol.
I was minding my own business and hibernating in my craft room/guest room working on my memory blanket. I had added an ENTIRE square using scraps from Stranded Dyeworks BFL Sock in the Antagonist colorway when I saw it. I had added the square from the wrong dang side.
If you look carefully at the grey border you can see the purl bumps where I changed colors. And those should be on the other side of the blanket, sigh. So off to the frog pond that square went.
It might have been a useful accident as I think I have a different scrap/color that I want to place there instead of the dark grey. I have a dark red and light pink combo that would look better there anyway. But I am still mad at myself for making such a bonehead move and wasting all that prime knitting time.
With all the marling fun I have been having with my Into The Light and In The Light I decided to fall down the pattern rabbit hole and see what else I could make holding fingering weight yarn double.
The Volcano Trail by Maxim Cyr (Rav link) really popped out to me. It is designed at DK gauge but uses fingering held double. So this will use up a TON of yarn. And I think the finished project is super cute.
I think I might cast this on after I finish my current marling project…..I may or may not have already pulled yarn from my stash, lol.