Thanks to some TV show binging my Stark Effect Socks are complete save for the Kitchener on the toes!
The good news is that I’m getting fairly proficient at grafting. The bad news, I can’t find any of my tapestry needles so I need to either clean or buy more, lol!
These socks have just brought me so much joy to watch the bright colors pop. I did in the end decide to use the rainbow yarn for the heels. Probably would have looked cooler with black but I couldn’t be bothered to put in that effort. I just want these socks on my feet!
I am OBSESSED with this handspun. I gave it a wash and thwack yesterday and set near my dehumidifier to dry. And this morning, these are two gloriously dry skeins.
It is a very well balanced yarn that hangs fairly straight. I have just under 200 grams total in yarn. I need run it through my yardage counter to see what I ended up with. The yarn did plump up quite a bit with washing so this might be a heavy worsted. And I’m still super proud of that! Stay tuned for finished yarn photos 🙂
Jellybean was was watching my finish my sock tube last night and he exclaimed “Mom, I think those glow in the dark!” And so we went outside where it was dusk….and he’s not wrong! Even in low light these puppies stood out from the grass.
Next up is to install heels and the socks will be done. I kinda want to do solid black heels, but I don’t know I have the yarn for it. I might have to just use the same self striping and manage where I start in the color sequence.
I need to ponder a minute on it perhaps. Happy Knitting!!
Motherhood means stealing stitches where you can. PB and Jellybean are finally old enough to play fairly independently at the park. So to celebrate seeing the sun for the first time in a week we hit the local playground. I had a large iced coffee and my Stark Effect Socks.
I made super good progress on sock number two. I am through the full tube and almost done with the ribbing. I need one more black stripe and then to knit and cast off in the dark purple. I have been knitting for 12 ish years and it never ceases to amaze me how fast self-striping yarn feels like it knits up.
Another silver lining of COVID? I can knit one full sock leg whilst binging Netflix and isolating from my family. My first Stark Effect Sock tube is done.
I made the decision to save the afterthought heels to the very end after I knit the second tube. There should be enough yarn left from the skein after the second tube, but I want to make sure.
I worked exactly three rainbow repeats total in the tube. For the last three cool stripes I used 2×2 rib to make the cuff. Pictures don’t do this yarn justice, its so vibrant and happy! The dyer is String Theory Colorworks and she does amazing work.
I have actually added several squares since I last showed you all. If you look SUPER close you can see the progress marker on the row second from the right about 2/3 of the way up on the dark pink square. So rough count, I’ve added almost 12 squares.
It feels good to work on something easy and to touch some of these scraps again. The blanket is pretty large at this point and keeps my lap comfy warm. I will finish my current row and maybe measure what size I am at.
I did some knitting in the wild this week. Our local zoo has a special exhibit this spring and its DINOSAURS. I’m talking life sized animatronic dinosaurs and cool displays all over the campus.
Jellybean and PB ran their butts off and wore themselves out. So I got to walk (run) behind them with my Christmas Musselburgh hat. I haven’t measured in awhile but surely I have to be getting close to the decreases.
This project works out great, it serves as its own travel bag! I tucked my ball of yarn inside the work so I could walk around without lugging a bunch of stuff, lol. I did raise a few eyebrows taking this photo but I like to confuse the muggles!
After the first Standed Paintbox socks fell off my needles, I felt empowered to finish the sock tube and make another pair!
I managed to unwind the waste yarn from one end and use the live stitches from the opposite to unravel and re-knit two cuffs. My plan is to then split the snack in half to separate the two socks.
I am undecided at this point if I will rip back the exposed ends and re-knit toes or if I will add contrasting toe. I think I have enough sock tube to work with but I am decisioned out this week with work taking so much of my brain. I think I will set this aside until the decision comes to me!
The first sock is complete and I just have about 10 rounds left to finish the second sock. I decided to make these shortie socks because I don’t have many of those in my drawer. And because I am using a cranked sock tube I would be able to get TWO pairs of socks out of the tube.
I decided to make these all homogenous and not use any contrast. Likely I will need to dip into contrast for the second pair. But given my busy work season and low mojo…it has felt GREAT to notch an easy win with these!
Mother Nature is still throwing us some curve balls here in the Midwest. So I’m taking advantage and having probably the last fire of the season. Something about knitting and watching a fire just goes so perfectly together!
I cranked through my Puppy Love Worsted Hat and it’s almost done. I still need weave in ends, block it and then clip the ends. I think I’ll save the rest of the details for a proper FO post.