The split hem has both stockinette and ribbed components with the ribbed portions being worked on a smaller needle. The pattern calls for equal hem on the front and back but I think I am leaning towards a longer hem in the back.
I am pleased that it looks like I will have enough yarn to finish out this lovely sweater. I just need to buckle down and do the darn thing!
Just like the first sleeve, I decided not to cast off the sleeves. I will try this sweater on to determine the perfect sleeve length. I am back into the rhythm of round and round in the body.
I have the two skeins pictured in the photo, one more unused skein and some tiny balls left from the sleeves. So I will keep knitting until I run out of yarn, keeping in mind I need to have enough yarn for the bottom ribbed split hem.
The good news is that I used some cool running water and managed to get all the yogurt off relatively easily (right photo). Now, I just need to wait for the body to try so that I can resume knitting. Sigh, I love my children I really do. But sometimes they vex me!
I am taking sleeve island by storm! the first sleeve of my Super Simple Summer Sweater is complete and I have a great start on the second!
The sleeves took less yarn than I anticipated which makes me feel more comfortable about finishing the second sleeve. I’ll be able to use the same two skeins that will give the sleeves a consistent color look. I left the lightbulb stitch markers in so that I can match the decreases.
I purposely did not complete the bind off. I want to finish the sweater and try it on to see if the sleeves are too long or to short. I left some tiny balls of yarn tucked in the sleeves so that I can finish later. Not having the body complete, I didn’t want to risk it. I’d rather leave it open that unpick a bind off, lol.
I am cruising along on my first sleeve of my Super Simple Summer Sweater (Joji pattern). I managed to add in four more decreases during PB’s weekly gymnastics practice.
I can see some color striping and differences in the sleeves versus the body. But with this type of kettle dyed yarn, I don’t expect perfection. So far the decreases are fitting my robust upper arms just fine. It’s fitted without being stretched tight.
I am now more confident that I will get two sleeves out of the two cakes of yarn with leftovers enough to help finish out the body. I should be able to eek out long sleeves and a longer body, win win!!
I decided to sleeve. I just couldn’t risk running out of yarn. I felt at the end of this that I wouldn’t be happy with short sleeves. I could maybe have lived with 3/4 but this is a cozy worsted sweater. I wanted to be warm up to my knuckles.
I took one ball of the dye lot from the yoke and one ball from the second lot and have started helical knitting sleeve number one. I am using my Chia Goo tiny circular set so I can just go round and round. So far I’m working the decreases as written. Will report back as to how that works later!
I’m having to add in the second color lot of Malabrigo to this sweater. It is noticeable enough in dye lot difference that you can see in the sweater. But not so much that I’m going to cut and run on this sweater.
I am running now on yarn. I need to decide if I’m going to make full length sleeves or maximize the body. I could stop now and work on the sleeves and just use up whatever yarn I have left to complete the body. I might need to sleep on this one!
I am making the size 2XL but with a smaller gauge to land somewhere between a finished XL to XXL garment. Before dividing I had 500 stitches on the needles! Now I’m just cruising down the body for inches and inches.
The only thing I need to pay attention to is adding in my new yarn, this Malabrigo yarn has BIG differences in color so I am coordinating and alternating skeins to avoid pooling. Still might have some noticeable changes in the finished garment but I am doing the best with what I have.
After finishing my Catbells Cardigan last week, I felt compelled to cast on another sweater. This time I’m doing to the Super Simple Summer Sweater from Joji Locatelli in some Malabrigo Rios.
This yarn was already caked up from my frogged Mycroft sweater so it was easy to get started. I had even left my swatches in with the yarn! Now, Joji’s pattern usually require me to change needles sizes as I’m not as loose of a knitter as she is. Basically I used my swatches to do the math and decide to go up two needle sizes and make XXL size to get the fit I want. I used the pattern schematic to figure out what size and ease would work for me.
So far I have the collar and the first round of increases. This is worsted yarn so I’m hoping my mojo can get this cranked out yet this fall! Happy Knitting!!