We are back to the normal life grind after the holidays. I thought I would share what 45 minutes of gymnastics gets me. I am still working through my 2021 advent calendar minis from Hannah of Chromatic Yarns.
I had the neck of the sweater started when I sat down in the waiting room.
By the time we got home, I had the yolk done and sleeves on waste yarn. I just couldn’t quite the whole body done before I needed to pack up.
I need like three more rows of body, two rows of ribbing and then cast off. The body of the sweater will be complete. Also, you can see the havoc that dry air, hand washing and tiny sharp needles are wreaking on my finger tips. I’m trying to heal up with some intensive repair creams and it’s working okay-ish so far.
They turned our great! I am still using Wee Sweater by Sarah Schira pattern, just with some mods. A wee sweater takes me a full evening of TV knitting. So I only have two of these complete but they are fun and get a little faster each time.
For these, I found some gold ribbon that I plan to “hang” the sweaters from for a sweater garland. This garland will be separate from the tiny sock one. One is good so two must be better!
Mods: I made this sweater longer in the body and sleeves. I also knit the back split hem longer than the front split hem.
My kitchener stitch is still slightly visible after blocking but not so much that a muggle will notice. I am VERY happy with the adjustments to this sweater. I feel like it suits my body type much better as a regular sweater and not as a tunic.
This took just over 6 1/2 skeins of the worsted yarn so that is roughly 1,380 yards of yarn. I had two different dye lots but using helical knitting I think they blended nicely. The average eye can see some flashing and striping but it looks intentional so I’m pleased.
Now I just need to plot my next sweater! Happy Knitting!!
And then during another re-run of NCIS I got the cuts made and un-raveled back to each set of live stitches. It was a little tricky ripping back due to the helical knitting method. But I managed.
Now I need to muster the alone time and mental preparedness to start Kitchener-ing roughly 300+ stitches. I was smart enough to put light bulb stitch markers on each first stitch so I could correctly re-assemble front and back.
Now I need to meditate before undertaking surgery. Happy Knitting!!
I did knit swatches for this project and the yoke fits beautifully. But my swatches weren’t huge so they didn’t account for the stretching that Malabrigo does especially with this much fabric. It’s a lovely tunic, but not what I wanted this project to be….
I also don’t love what it does to the widest party of my body, my hips and back 40. I didn’t insert any waist shaping so it’s all one box. The tunic would be better if it had nipped in at my natural waist.
I wore this around the house and muddled for a bit. I think I am going to insert needles and cut my sweater a bit. Based on measurements, I need to remove about four inches of sweater body. I can then Kitchener Stitch the hem back to the shorter sweater body. Wish me luck!!!
The split hem has both stockinette and ribbed components with the ribbed portions being worked on a smaller needle. The pattern calls for equal hem on the front and back but I think I am leaning towards a longer hem in the back.
I am pleased that it looks like I will have enough yarn to finish out this lovely sweater. I just need to buckle down and do the darn thing!
Just like the first sleeve, I decided not to cast off the sleeves. I will try this sweater on to determine the perfect sleeve length. I am back into the rhythm of round and round in the body.
I have the two skeins pictured in the photo, one more unused skein and some tiny balls left from the sleeves. So I will keep knitting until I run out of yarn, keeping in mind I need to have enough yarn for the bottom ribbed split hem.
The good news is that I used some cool running water and managed to get all the yogurt off relatively easily (right photo). Now, I just need to wait for the body to try so that I can resume knitting. Sigh, I love my children I really do. But sometimes they vex me!
I am taking sleeve island by storm! the first sleeve of my Super Simple Summer Sweater is complete and I have a great start on the second!
The sleeves took less yarn than I anticipated which makes me feel more comfortable about finishing the second sleeve. I’ll be able to use the same two skeins that will give the sleeves a consistent color look. I left the lightbulb stitch markers in so that I can match the decreases.
I purposely did not complete the bind off. I want to finish the sweater and try it on to see if the sleeves are too long or to short. I left some tiny balls of yarn tucked in the sleeves so that I can finish later. Not having the body complete, I didn’t want to risk it. I’d rather leave it open that unpick a bind off, lol.