Jellybean was was watching my finish my sock tube last night and he exclaimed “Mom, I think those glow in the dark!” And so we went outside where it was dusk….and he’s not wrong! Even in low light these puppies stood out from the grass.
Next up is to install heels and the socks will be done. I kinda want to do solid black heels, but I don’t know I have the yarn for it. I might have to just use the same self striping and manage where I start in the color sequence.
I need to ponder a minute on it perhaps. Happy Knitting!!
After finishing my shorties last week, I found myself with no socks on the needles and a date night planned with my hubby. I conned him into taking me to The Lost City with Sandra Bulluck and Channing Tatum. So I hurriedly grabbed the first sock yarn I found and got a sock toe cast on.
This is a skein of String Theory Inertia Self Striping in the Stark Effect colorway. Its very neon and very spring/easter-y. I LOVE IT. And this much sock is exactly one movie’s worth of stockinette in the round.
I think I will knit a sock tube and cuff and then add an all black heel as a contrast. This project is just making me so happy. I will be sad when this one is over and might have to order another skein of this colorway…..
The second heel breezed right along this week and now I have a FO to share! My Paintbox Socks, Take Two are done and ready for the sock drawer.
Pattern: A basic 64 stitch vanilla sock make a sock snake/tube
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks OOAK Paintbox color
Needles: US 1s for cuffs, toes and heels
I used up almost every bit of the remaining sock snake that equated to roughly 195 yards of the main color. The contrast heels are from a Knitting Fever Teenie Weenie Wool mini where I used about 30 yards. So all in all, these shorties are just over 200 yards.
The fit is pretty good but like the first pair, I need to test these in some shoes to see how they perform. And in the meantime, I need to find my next pair of socks to start knitting! Happy Knitting!!
The first sock heel is complete. I do a modified afterthought heel where I add extra plain rows at the beginning of the heel to add depth. I have a high instep and this extra fabric makes for a better fit. I didn’t invent this, but I have knit enough socks to figure out what works for me.
I need to finish the second heel and then I will I have a second pair of shorties done in as many days! Gotta love knitting from machine knit socks tubes. Happy Knitting!!
After finishing the first sock of my Goth Kitty Vanilla Socks, I started the toe for the second. I had my annual mammogram and managed this week baby toe while waiting.
I will admit that I pulled out the second skein and purposely started with the same stripe in the sequence on sock number two. This way my socks will match. Now, they won’t be a row by row match but close enough for an muggle looking at my feet.
Vanilla socks are one of my happy places, I have quite literally zoomed through the entire foot and leg portion of my Goth Kitty Vanilla Socks. I just need to cut in the afterthought heel!
I have been making socks long enough that I am fairly comfortable cutting in afterthought heels. I used to use lifelines when I was new to this type of heel and now I just fly by the seat of my pants.
I did end up adding some increases in the leg to improve the fit. It’s audit season at my job and my stress is higher than normal. So my tension on this sock is tighter than normal, lol. So adding extra room in this sock felt like a good decision!
I recently finished my Goth Kitty Worsted hat so I decided to get the matching socks cooking on the needles. This is also Knit Picks Felici, just the sock yarn. It matches the worsted really well.
I cast on my normal sock recipe of 68 stitches on a toe up vanilla sock. I think I will do an afterthought heel on these to preserve the striping sequence. I binge watched Murder She Wrote and busted out a full striping sequence and a half!
Self striping sock yarn is so potato chippy for me. I just can’t put it down until I finish a color and then of course I need to do “just one more”. Which I guess is good for my knitting production, lol.
Well, I decided to move this project out of Hibernation and into FO status. These were intended to be my Knee High Christmas socks. But in the end I just couldn’t get past how much brain space and purling it would take to make my original vision. So I wasn’t even picking this project up…..at all.
So I am just going to finish them as they are. I have already added a very small cuff to each sock and I finished the toe decreases on the second tube. This was a Lolodidit Hippo for Christmas skein I had cranked into a sock snake/sock tube.
Basically at this point all I have left to do is add heels and then these can move into my sock drawer. They will be pretty tall but won’t be knee highs. I do have some concern that they won’t fit my full calves but if that happens these can just be socks for my sister. Win win.
It feel liberating to finally make a decision on this project and get it out of my WIP box. Happy Knitting!!
I am into the fifth color on my 2020 Advent Socks and I am SUPER happy that I am doing these in tandem. It’s going to feel so good to cast off the cuffs and have a finished pair of socks!
I have the first heel finished all the way and I’m into the decreases on the second sock. I think I should be able to fit about three more minis into these socks before the cuff. Who knows….maybe I will go crazy and make tall socks. Who am I kidding, it likely depend on how tired I am by the time I finish the legs.