Happy Friday! To celebrate this week I have a new pair of socks to snuggle my feet in. My Antagonist Vanilla Socks are done, washed and blocked!
Pattern: Toe Up Vanilla Socks using 68 stitches and a gusset heel
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks BFL Nylong Fingering in Antagonist color
Needles: US 1s
These are the perfect socks. They have a nice sturdy fabric thanks to the BFL fiber content but they are still next to skin super soft. The speckles really pop out of the dark grey main color. The fit is really good with plenty of room in the heel and the cuff hugs my leg just right amount.
I do have a decent amount of yarn left from the skein. I used 68 grams or 272 yards in my socks so I have roughly 130 yards left for my scrap projects. Which I’m not mad at. I definitely see more BFL socks in my future.
Happy Wednesday to all! I took some time this week to turn the heel on my second Antagonist Vanilla Sock. Why is so satisfying to finish a heel and then just sit an admire the magic that is a hand knit sock heel?
I really was feeling the vibes of this sock. You see that progress keeper? That is where I was last Tuesday. I completed the fit and finished the heel! All that is left is the small leg and then the cuff.
I haven’t officially finished this sock, but I’m already dreaming of my next sock cast on…..probably something self-striping…..
No second sock syndrome here….I cast on my second Antagonist Sock!
The yarn is just so scrumptious! The BFL really feels sturdy and soft as I create fabric. And the first sock fits really well so I’m continuing the second sock same as the first. And don’t you just love the beautiful speckles?
Welcome to Friday everyone! May it be as happy and peaceful as possible during this time period as possible. I am excited this Friday because I have a HO (half finished object)!! I finished the first Antagonist Sock.
I am really pleased with this project so far. I didn’t have a super concrete plan in mind so I just kind of worked the leg until I was bored and then I started the ribbing. Turns out I made a “just a little bit higher than shorties” sock. It is not low rise at all but fits nicely at the base of my ankle. The fabric feels good on my foot and the whole sock fits nicely. I am definitely moving on to getting sock number two on my needles. The little speckles and pops of color are really making my soul happy.
In these photos you might notice a new tool. I was completely surprised by the husband with a present for no reason surprise. He found some metal sock blockers on the interwebs and got them for me. They are PERFECT my large lady sized feet. He definitely earned some husband points on this one. I really like a great knitting tool!
I worked the toe up gusset heel ala Wendy D Johnson and I’m started up the leg. I haven’t decided what kind length of socks these want to grow up to be. I really do need more shorties in my drawer but this is really nice auto pilot knitting. I may not be ready to start the toe of the second sock….
I think I will sleep on it for a couple of days. Happy Knitting!!
Thanks to many (read: MANY) conference calls and video meetings I have made pretty good progress on my Antagonist Socks! The toe increases are done and the foot is one inch shy of starting the heel.
I’m really enjoying the yarn! There are flecks and pops of mossy green, burnt orange and a some other colors I can’t quite describe that keep me interested. The finished fabric is not merino soft but feels like imagined the BFL content would turn out. It is still soft but feels firm like it won’t pill or wear as easily.
I’m pretty sure I am going to do a toe up gusset heel by Wendy D Johnson for these socks. I have that almost memorized and it fits my foot quite nicely. My next hurdle will be to see if I can turn the heel while knitting out of video call frame….
I was feeling the pull of socks again after I finished my Dark Side Vanilla Socks. I pulled out some of the sock yarn I wound up during my winding frenzy and just cast on. This is the BFL/Nylon sock blend from Stranded Dyeworks and it felt like some basic toe socks were a great pattern match.
This is my own “vanilla” recipe of a 68 stitch toe up vanilla sock on US 1s. A whole lot of round and round in soothing stockinette. Working from home and having all my meetings being virtual….I have made great time on this sock! I’m planning on a toe up gusset heel from Wendy D Johnson’s pattern. I almost have that heel memorized and it fits my foot really well.
This yarn is making a really nice fabric. It’s not merino soft but its soft in a sturdy way. The BFL really makes this feel like a sock that should wear really well. I can’t wait to get these finished and into my drawer. I really want to see how these work out. I might need to add more BFL sock yarn to my stash!