I did manage to clean my craft area just enough to find a plastic tapestry needle. Not my first choice but it got the job done and my Stark Effect Socks are complete!
Pattern: My own 68 stitch toe up vanilla sock “recipe”
Yarn: String Theory Colorwork Inertia Self Striping in the Stark Effect Colorway
Needles: US 1
They turned out fantastic and a great fit on my foot. As with all my afterthought heels I add in extra plain rounds to the heel to accommodate my high instep.
They are also almost a perfect match. Which I totally managed and did on purpose. It does mean I have to tiny balls of yarn left that aren’t in color sequence. I will still find something to do with them, probably my memory blanket?
In the meantime, I’m off to pick out my next sock project! Happy Knitting!!
Thanks to some TV show binging my Stark Effect Socks are complete save for the Kitchener on the toes!
The good news is that I’m getting fairly proficient at grafting. The bad news, I can’t find any of my tapestry needles so I need to either clean or buy more, lol!
These socks have just brought me so much joy to watch the bright colors pop. I did in the end decide to use the rainbow yarn for the heels. Probably would have looked cooler with black but I couldn’t be bothered to put in that effort. I just want these socks on my feet!
I did manage to finish the Goth Kitty Vanilla Socks this week! Almost made the perfect matching set…..until I found a knot in my yarn on the second heel.
Pattern: My own 68 stitch toe up vanilla sock
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici in Goth Kitty
Needles: US 1s
I used roughly 85 grams of the 100 grams of sock yarn I started with. So I think that equates to about 370 yards of yarn. I have a US Women’s size 9.5/10 foot so I need most of the 100 grams of yarn to make a decent sized item for me.
I love how soft the knit picks Felici feels on my feet. It’s SOO soft and I have decent luck with keeping up with the wear and tear on them by washing them gently. I do with the heels matched but I will live, lol. These are off to the sock drawer for the next cold snap!
My mojo is creeping back in around the edges and I picked up my Goth Kitty socks to finish the second vanilla tube and it flew off the needles.
I think the last time I showed these off, I just had the second toe worked out. I zoomed right up the second sock and did my dandiest to match the increases from the first sock. It’s always easier to make them up on the first one then to match the second one, lol.
Now I just need to cut my knitting and get the second afterthought heel installed. Then I will have a finished pair of socks!
I have been struggling with a lingering cold (thanks to my children) that was thankfully not COVID. But it has left my energy levels drained to the point I just needed simple knitting the past few evenings. So I have been working on my Dad’s 2021 Christmas Socks while I lay in bed.
The silver lining? I have finished the first sock completely and zoomed through the foot of the second sock. It does help that this is sport weight sock yarn on size 3 US needles. I am just ready to start the heel on sock number two.
Maybe I do have a shot at actually finishing these things before Christmas! Happy Knitting!!
I took another chunk of foot knitting out and repositioned the heel. I really like how the blue and yellow ended up disbursing over the heel turn. It looks very intentional! I still would REALLY like to get this completed pair finished by Thanksgiving. This knitting is for a good cause but I really need another sock project that hasn’t killed my joy as much as this one has.
I was feeling so accomplished this week. I finished the first of my Dad’s 2021 Christmas Socks! I was excited as I had to rip back my first attempt to take out like two inches of extra foot.
And then I had the hubby try it on because he has the same sized feet as my Dad. And holy knitting karma…..they were still long!! And not by a little but a full inch and a half. So I had to cuss under my breath and rip them back again. I did put in a stitch marker where the heel should start while they were on my hubby’s feet.
Thanks to a 7 year old drop off outdoor birthday party, I managed to walk for 50 minutes and re-finish the heel turn. So I am back to a mostly done sock and just need to finish the leg and cuff. The silver lining is that Regia stands up beautifully to knitting and frogging. That also means they should wear well.
I did cast on the toe of the second sock and its on holders until I re-finish this sock. I’m still on track to finish before Christmas. It would just be nice to not have so many “karmic” lessons in this so-called zen knitting, lol.
I have recovered from my sock mistake. My Dad’s 2021 Socks are back on track and I managed to get the heel turned.
I snuck my sock out yesterday morning before work while I sipped some coffee. It was only 5 minutes but it was a glorious 5 minutes. And I only have a tiny ball left to finish off this sock. I thought ahead and split my skein in half so that I can try to avoid yarn chicken. And you know, have to socks roughly the same size!
My mom brain and my knitting brain had a fight this week. I was happily knitting away on the foot of my Dad’s 2021 Christmas Socks and was following my recipe. But my knitting brain kept saying “that’s awfully long and it looks too big” but my mom brain kept measuring it and it was the correct number. Ya’ll gauge matters….
I snuck around and found an old sock that I know fits my dad to compare to my WIP. Sure enough the sock was easily 1-1.5 inches too long. Womp womp.
The good news is that I have frogged it back to where I need to start the gusset heel. I didn’t have the fortitude to actually start the heel as I was a little mad at myself. But the silver lining is that I caught it before I finished the sock and I will end up with a functional pair of socks.