It’s definitely getting colder here in Kansas. I decided to pull out my scrappy memory blanket to work on in between my 2022 Advent Socks. Since the daily stripe on my socks doesn’t take much time I thought this was a perfect companion project.
Based on the project keeper, I have added roughly 16 blocks to this since this past April. The bonus factor is that this keeps my lap quite warm while I am working on it. This piece is large enough to cover me from toes to shoulders. And the multi-colored stained glass look is really making my knitting soul fulfilled!
I have actually added several squares since I last showed you all. If you look SUPER close you can see the progress marker on the row second from the right about 2/3 of the way up on the dark pink square. So rough count, I’ve added almost 12 squares.
It feels good to work on something easy and to touch some of these scraps again. The blanket is pretty large at this point and keeps my lap comfy warm. I will finish my current row and maybe measure what size I am at.
As promised, I did find some space and time to lay out my Sock Yarn Memory Blanket. Grass is a little dry as we haven’t had much rain but the sun was glorious and made the colors really pop.
Before my latest KAL started this month I managed to add seven new squares to the blanket before it went back into hibernation. (The blanket won’t earn me any points as I won’t finish it during the knit a long). Pretty decent progress on such a long term WIP
I am running high on variegated scraps and low on solid scraps. So I may need to dig around in bag to balance out the look I’m shooting for. I am also fairly low on self striping leftovers as well. But all that is a decision for future Rachelle!
My memory blanket has seen some knitting time this early. I treated myself to a professional pedicure and then snuggled up under my WIP while watching podcasts. It was an all too short self care session but every little bit helps.
If my schedule and daylight cooperates, I will try to get outside and take some pictures of the full blanket in natural light. My mom commented when she saw it that it looks like the Technicolor Dreamcoat from the musical, lol.
I needed a brain break and maybe a palette cleanser. So this past weekend I just focused on one project….my Sock Yarn Memory Blanket.
Above is pictured spread out on a king sized bed. So it’s getting pretty impressive in size! I focused on adding length and not width this weekend. I have a TON of scraps to go in this thing but I focused on incorporating all the leftovers from my recent finished like In the Light and Christmas socks.
I was a good knitter and placed a stitch market to mark where I started. It’s hard to see the purple unicorn on the purple square over there in the corner….but it’s there. So that means I added eight squares in one weekend! (Note to self….move stitch marker….)
I am no where ready for this to be done. I think I’ll just keep plodding along and see how it keeps growing! 😛
I was minding my own business and hibernating in my craft room/guest room working on my memory blanket. I had added an ENTIRE square using scraps from Stranded Dyeworks BFL Sock in the Antagonist colorway when I saw it. I had added the square from the wrong dang side.
If you look carefully at the grey border you can see the purl bumps where I changed colors. And those should be on the other side of the blanket, sigh. So off to the frog pond that square went.
It might have been a useful accident as I think I have a different scrap/color that I want to place there instead of the dark grey. I have a dark red and light pink combo that would look better there anyway. But I am still mad at myself for making such a bonehead move and wasting all that prime knitting time.
A few days ago I pulled out the yarn for my Cousins Mitred Square Blanket and made some decisions.
I’m going to do solid squares because it’s easier not to change yarn and I will like the look better
I picked a tentative color layout: one row pink then light blue and one row yellow then brown
The edge will be done in the bright blue/teal
I even started the first square.
I pretty much hate it. It took two hours and 24 grams of yarn. So at the very least I know how long each piece will take. But the cast on was too loose and stretchy. The fabric is too loose as well. Not to mention I can’t tell if I should slip the first stitch or knit it in order to make the best surface to attach the next square. Wise blogger/podcast knitters always say to not slip stitches on seam edges but the knit edges of garter stitches just look terribly cuddly to pick up! I’m terribly conflicted. I knit these on 7US and I’m going to try 6US by frogging and re-knitting this square.