Yep, hes a bit wonky! But hes soft and happy and squishy. And most important of all…..ready for PB’s birthday today. One year ago today I tried to got to bed the night before and ended up with my water breaking and heading to meet PB at the hospital. Tomorrow we will throw a party with our family and let PB smash her face into her first cake. I cannot wait!
Yarn: Premier Yarns Parfait Layers in Sweet and Spicy
Needles: US 7
Mods: I accidentally made the feet two different sizes and my magic loop accidentally moved my decreases around a bit so my toy biases a smidge. But he’s perfect!
I used only about 78 yards of this bulky weight yarn. I would say it’s on the lighter end of the bulky spectrum. Baldwin ended up with pants and shirt thanks the self striping nature of the yarn cake. This project took maybe 6-8 hours total to knit so it was a fast one. Except for I only managed to snag a few minutes here and there so it took a lot a lot of days. I’m tempted to make this pattern again and see if I can do the magic loop correctly this time. Hmmmmm
I finished with two weeks to spare on PB’s birthday! Now Baldwin still needs a mouth and a bellybutton. I might also possibly add a crochet flower tail because the husband thinks that will make it extra cute. The only thing stopping from being done is that I am out of white felt in my craft stash for the Rebecca Danger style mouth. Now this is easy to fix with a trip to Joanns or Micheals soI hope to have this all tucked in time for PB’s party.
Stay tuned for finished finished finished projects photos! Happy Knitting!!
I bit the bullet and finally worked my first magic loop project. I have been working on PB’s birthday monster, Baldwin the Bathroom Monster. The body is done and all I need is arms. But aside from the mis-matched feet I discussed last time….Baldwin is also a little wonky….
This piece biased like crazy and twists sideways. I lost control of my magic loop at some point and just guessed about how to get my cord placement back in order. And the best I could tell it was fine. But I obviously moved where my decreases were and caused some biasing. Whoops.
But again I’m really getting closer and closer to PB’s birthday and I have decided that I like my monster with character! This Baldwin is super soft and just squishy enough for PB to chew on. So all I need to do is knit arms and I’M DONE!
I knit Jellybean a toy for his second birthday. And I got the crazy idea back over a month ago that PB needed a monster for her first birthday. So we went shopping and she helped me pick yarn. Well I finally got around to starting the silly monster. I had a silly mental block around the fact I would need to magic loop this toy. While I understood the mechanics I have never really use that technique. I finally put my big kid pants and just started.
I worked both feet and got the project started in the round. It was kinda fiddly and my cord on my interchangeable needles isn’t exactly ideally flexible but I’m making it work and figuring it out.
I did make a not so nice observation. My monster feet are two different sizes. One is noticeably smaller than the other because I must have forgot some rows somewhere. It’s less than three weeks until PB’s birthday party and I have decided I don’t care and all the cool monsters have mis-matched feet. I’m the boss of my knitting!!
Ps. This is living in my Bags by Awesome Grannie project bag and it’s making me soooo happy!
The legs were SUPER easy to knit and I knocked all four out in less than one Netflix show. I did have some laddering between my DPNs because of the small circumference and my tension. I just simply used the extra yarn after seaming to kind of embroider those ladders “closed”. Now no one will ever notice and no fiber fill will peak out.
I did make my hubby laugh. He came upstairs just as I was finishing the sewing of the second leg and started giggling at my knitting.
I spent some time cleaning this weekend and I found the Dino I was working on for Jellybean. I had cast on and just worked the head and put it down. That’s just silly! This is a worsted weight toy over not that many stitches. So I buckled down during naps and bedtime and cranked through the entire body. It really didn’t take that long at all and I kinda kicked myself for letting it languish. The hardest part was running out to Joanns for more fiber fill because I was out!
I need to do some massaging to get the stuffing evened out and the body less lumpy. And after that I just have four legs and the scales to knit. Surely by the grace of the baby nap gods I can get those done soon. This definitely needs legs as it kind of looks like a snail now, lol.
So I pulled the remaining Plymouth Encore Worsted left from the monkey and found I had enough yarn for a Dinosaur patter in my queue but only if I reversed the colors. So Dinosaur Jr by Katie Boyette hit my needles. I have only started the head portion but I’m hoping some good evening knitting will see this project chug forward in no time!
My latest knitting craze coupled with my husbands new job has left the pups in our house very put out. Neither of us is home during the day and it gets dark early here in Kansas. We haven’t even been able to get to our park runs very regularly either. I think they have cabin fever….
Dex has been pulling out ALL his toys and blankets and leaving them EVERY WHERE. Let me tell you it’s a joy to find the sharp edge of a nylon chew bone on the way to the bathroom with your bare foot at 3 am. I can’t blame the poor pup for being cooped up this winter, but he’s wearing on my nerves!
Good thing he’s cute otherwise he’d be in trouble! I wish everyone a very happy Friday! Don’t forget to have a little fun, TGIF! The pups and I are going to have a long walk and then a dog biscuit scavenger hunt in the house!!