I finished an EPIC thing and I’m so thrilled I can’t stop smiling you guys. My Charlotte Winter is done and it fits like a dream! This is my first garment for myself in a long time. Having babies has been hard on my body and I haven’t always loved what I see in the mirror. But I for sure love me in this!
Mods: I added reverse garter stripes across the yoke to simulate color-work. I worked at a tighter gauge than the pattern and had to math out the size I needed.
It’s the most perfect tunic length and even in bulky yarn it is pretty darn flattering. I so love that I was able to get some finished photos with snow still on the ground. The rest of Kansas might not agree with me. But I’m happy for one last snow!
You can kind of see some extra fabric under the arms ala a dolman adjacent sleeve. My yoke stretched a little more than I had planned so my armpits aren’t in the armpits. That’s what happens with wet/heavy bulky yarn. But the fit feels good and I can always tighten this up a bit in the dryer. I LOVE how far the sleeves come down on my hand. It is so cozy! Plus I can always fold the cuffs up while cooking or typing. I always opt for cozy though…
I do see in this photo one stretched out stitch. It was easy to snag the garter bumps as I was turning this sweater around while knitting. I need to go back and pull the surrounding stitches back into place to close up that hole. If that doesn’t work I’ll duplicate stitch over it with some teal yarn.
I plan to give this an inaugural wearing and decide if I need to sew some grosgrain ribbon on the wrong side of the button bands. My top button is ceramic and very pretty but also very heavy. The bottom buttons are just plastic. I’ll see how it lasts during wear. Ooooo….I remembered when I was sewing the buttons down to leave room under the button for the fabric to slide under. Kind of like having a button shank under there. I usually just sew them down to within an inch of their life. But I feel like a proper knitter now!
Yarn: Berroco Comfort DK in Menthe and Primary Blue. I used 233 yards of the Menthe and 85 yards of the Primary Blue. So all in all that’s about 94 grams of yarn.
Needles: US 4 (the pattern calls for 6s and I oopsed) My gauge ended up being 5.5 stitches and 8 rows to 1 inch.
Size: 12 months
Sorry no finished photos with PB. She is in the middle of a developmental leap and just kind of a crabby mess after we get home from work. Her little brain is really growing up a storm. But bottom line is that I loved this pattern and will most likely re-knit this again as PB gets bigger.
I had finished PB’s Second Sporty Cardigan and I couldn’t stand the thought of not knitting cute baby girl sweaters. So I did some Ravelry searching and stash diving to find a good match.
I found Leksak by Yarn-Madness. It’s a top down raglan style tunic (or pullover if you prefer) made for DK yarn. It has an interesting button band construction I found intriguing and I had two colors of Berroco Comfort DK languishing in my stash. Comfort DK is a 50/50 acrylic and nylon blend so very washable and very durable. And I like the idea of a tunic for my sweet PB. And I am for SURE making the open front construction versus the pullover closed construction. (P.S. Leksak is Swedish for “toy” and I am of Swedish decent so I that kinda hooked me as well.)
The colors are a minty green and bright blue I originally got for making hats. While not a a pairing I would normally make I think they actually work well now that I can see them knit up together. I will be playing a small bit of yarn chicken on this project but I think with some strategic order of operations and yarn management I can make it work.