Yarn: Briggs and Little Regal 2-ply in Midnight Blue
Needles: US 8 and US 6
Mods: I added 2 inches of length to the body and modified the sleeve decreases to accommodate my strong upper arms.
This sweater was a labor of love and took way longer to make than it should have. I also made several mistakes in the lace that I just fudged back into place because NO ONE will ever notice, lol. This sweater crushed some major stash. I used almost 6 skeins of yarn that equates to 1,500 yards of yarn out of stash!
The finished sweater is super cozy and VERY warm. Briggs and Little Regal is not a next to skin soft yarn but should compensate by being hard wearing, especially on the bottom where I will sit on it. This pattern was well designed and gets high marks from me but I don’t think I would make it again. The all over patterning is just slow knitting for me and probably why it took over a year to finish.
It is starting to get cooler around here so I feel like this garment will come in very handy! Happy Knitting!!
Thank goodness for worsted yarn and large gauge needles, my Catbells Pockets fell right off my needles!
I did opt to make pockets for the next size up in sweater. I like big pockets and I cannot lie. I have pockets washed out and drying near a fan. I’m really hoping I can get these dry while I’m at work so I can finish the assembly on the sweater this evening!
I have poured on the afterburners and have churned out the second sleeve AND the hem on my Catbells Cardigan.
All my ends are woven in and I have dunked this sweater. It is so large that I had to clean out and use my kitchen sink! I did manage to eek out the second sleeve with the original yarn and had more than enough for the hem with the backup yarn I purchased.
Next up I need to knit and block the pocket patches. I should be able to knock out those in an evening if my family cooperates. I am so close to finishing this sweater that I can’t wait!
One sleeve is now complete! My Catbells Cardigan is looking more and more like a functional cardigan.
I did deviate from the pattern in regards to the sleeve. As designed the arms were to snug in my upper arm. So I knit straight for awhile and then mixed in my own decreases. I used light bulb stitch markers to keep track of where I put those in order to duplicate on the second sleeve. I also made the cuff a week bit longer so the sleeves would go all the way to my knuckles.
I have even started the second sleeve and I’m about halfway done with the decreases. I am just about out of my original dye lot of yarn. I *think* I will have enough yarn to finish the second sleeve. That does mean I will need to use my second batch/dye lot of yarn to make the hem and pockets. Honestly, they look close enough in color that I don’t think anyone will notice.
I decided to go big and leave home, so to speak. At PB’s gymnastics lessons this week I took my Catbells Cardigan and lugged to the gym.
I have roughly 40 or 42 rows of sleeve done and I have slipped this on. Based on this fit, I think I am ready to start the decreases. Given the gauge I am working at, I think I need roughly 10 (maybe 12) stitches decreased to fit my lower arms/wrists.
I plan to plot my decreases with light bulb style stitch markers so I can count rows and match my “pattern” on the second sleeve. This yarn is SO DARK, it’s my only hope to be mildly successful!
I am going to ignore the fact that I have a worsted weight sweater in hibernation because I fell in LOVE with the Catbells Cardigan by Pip and Pin.
A little stash diving lead me to choose my sweater quantity of Briggs and Little Regal in a dark Navy. Its a construction I have not done before. You start with a back piece of lace and build from there.
I have to admit between the simple lace and the dark yarn…..this cast on took me three times to get on the needles. I worked for an hour and I’m only four rows in….
This project needs good light and dedicated brain time. This will be an “after the kids go to bed” project for sure!! Happy Knitting!!