My second Hurricane Hat is swimming right along. I think I am within an inch or so of starting the crown decreases. And I think I have a good shot of using up most of the yarn.
I did end up adding more stitches than the pattern called for to make the hat more adult/slouchy. Therefore I had to recalculate the number of stitches in-between the purl swirls. I think I did a pretty decent job though the crown decreases will also have to be recalculated. Drat…
After finishing the Hurricane Hat for Jellybean I decided I had enough yarn left to make second and maybe slightly bigger hat for me or the hubby. So during an early morning and unseasonably warm trip to the local park (before anyone else got there) the kids played and I cast on another Hurricane Hat.
Alas, as most times of being a mom are….I didn’t get much peace. There was a lot of pushing the two year old on a swing and kissing boo boos as each child crashed their respective bike and/or scooter. I managed all of 20 cast on stiches before we melted down in tantrums and packed up to go home.
My coffee was on point though and you bet your behind I finished that at least!!
Now that my Knit Socks are finished I needed different car line knitting. So the Hurricane Hat for Jellybean became just the thing. (And yes I know my check light is on. It’s for low tire pressure and they are just going to have to wait there turn in my to do list…it’s 2020 and I can only handle so many dumpster fires).
I’m a little bit nervous about this hat. The yarn has a lot of tooth to it and it is not next to skin soft in my opinion. Jellybean really likes the swirls in the purls but I have a feeling this won’t get much wear. I may have to break out my Tuft wool wash that has lanolin to block this to see if I can add some softness.
I’m holding DK weight yarn double so the project is really flying! I might even have a FO this week depending on how long the car lines are this week.
Jellybean was side eyeing PB’s recently finished sweater and made the comment that I hadn’t made him anything in awhile. So we sat and talked about what did he think he wanted? He muddled it for a bit and decided a hat. So we went to my stash and I showed him some yarns to pick from. He ended up picking my West Yorkshire Spinners Aire Valley DK.
And then he promptly went off to play. I did make him come back and feel the yarn to make sure it was soft enough. This yarn has a little tooth to it and it’s definitely not merino soft. He still said yes this is what he wanted. So I took off to Ravelry and found an easy but yet cute hat.
I chose to hold this yarn double to get aran weight and knit the Hurricane Hat by Andrea Guldin (ravelry link). I’ve obviously made it super far into the ribbing, lol. But Jellybean seems delighted just to see have started. Eventually this hat will have a purl bump that spirals up the body of the hat ending nicely in the decrease. Or it will if I can correctly follow the pattern!