My Double Vanilla Sock is growing much faster in its current iteration than it did in the first. The foot literally took no time at all and the heel only one evening’s worth of knitting.
At this point I decided to be smart and weight my yarn ball. After that I weighed my sock. And then did some math and pulled enough yarn off the ball to have split the skein in half. This was done as a precaution and to prevent running out of yarn on sock two.
I think for this pair of socks that are likely to be worn as house slippers, I will knit the leg largely in rib. This will give a nice snug fit and perhaps keep the sock on my foot while its not going to be a in a shoe.
My Double Vanilla Socks having been sitting in timeout for….awhile. The foot just kept looking super skinny compared to what my normal socks come out to. So I pulled a finished sock from my drawer and held them up together. And my instincts were correct….this sock is too skinny. So to the frog pond it went.
I didn’t go crazy, I only ripped back to the toe. I think I am going to only add 4 stitches to the total sock. That equates to two more increase rows before proceeding with the foot again. I think I will just be happier with a bigger sock.
My interest in this project has been rejuvenated since I made the decision to make them bigger. Sometimes my sub conscious is better at knitting than I am, lol.
My second Hurricane Hat is complete and I’m not sure who is more excited….myself or Jellybean. He immediately grabbed his Hurricane Hat and put it on so we could match. Still isn’t cold enough long enough for us to wear them so the fashion session didn’t last long. Oh well, lol.
Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Aire Valley DK (held double) in the Teal colorway
Needles: US 7s
Mods: I added 8 stitches to hat total and just fudged the number of stitches between each swirl and kind of made the crown decreases fit.
This hat ended up with a nice relaxed fit around the crown and a good slouch in the back. I did give this a good bath in my Tuft woolens bar so I could add some lanolin to this hat. The West Yorkshire Spinner Aire Valle DK is pretty “rustic” feeling. It did soften up with washing but still has some toothiness to it. But for SURE it will be a nice warm wooly hat for winter. I think this will go in our hat bin that sits by the front door ready for grab and go needs.
My second Hurricane Hat is swimming right along. I think I am within an inch or so of starting the crown decreases. And I think I have a good shot of using up most of the yarn.
I did end up adding more stitches than the pattern called for to make the hat more adult/slouchy. Therefore I had to recalculate the number of stitches in-between the purl swirls. I think I did a pretty decent job though the crown decreases will also have to be recalculated. Drat…
After finishing the Hurricane Hat for Jellybean I decided I had enough yarn left to make second and maybe slightly bigger hat for me or the hubby. So during an early morning and unseasonably warm trip to the local park (before anyone else got there) the kids played and I cast on another Hurricane Hat.
Alas, as most times of being a mom are….I didn’t get much peace. There was a lot of pushing the two year old on a swing and kissing boo boos as each child crashed their respective bike and/or scooter. I managed all of 20 cast on stiches before we melted down in tantrums and packed up to go home.
My coffee was on point though and you bet your behind I finished that at least!!
Okay, this FO has been done for awhile. Truth be told all it needed was a bath but a mild but persistent upper respiratory virus attached itself to this pregnant body and I lost all will to do anything but play with Jellybean while simultaneously laying on the couch and then surf Instagram after he went to bed for like a solid week back in early April.
I love these finished objects despite the fact that I had to use dpns in the round. I’m getting ready to throw them in a bath to wash and block to even out the stitches. I haven’t yet dared to show them to Jellybean because I would never get them back! He’s got quite the glove obsession of late. And with they thought I’m off to start a second pair!
I’ve been on an organizing tear of late. I went through my wardrobe with a ruthless eye and got rid of the clothes that don’t fit post baby. And the ones that don’t make me happy or feel good. They will go to a good home to my sister or to a women’s shelter. And I also tore through my WIPs pile. It was time to knit or frog. I unearthed my Cuff to Cuff Sweater.
I started this in 2014 but it stalled majorly after Jellybean was born. I was sorely tempted to rip it out as I’m not sure it will fit my new and improved mom hulk shoulders. But all it was missing was one sleeve and the collar/edging. Still a lot of knitting to do but it seemed a shame to undo. I can always gift it to my cousin or sister.
It’s knit with Berroco Vintage in a teal/blue. I picked the yarn up for a song when a LYS sadly closed its doors in 2014. Also, if I finish this before Christmas I can count this as another WIP interception for the Down Cellar Studio pigskin party KAL!
This is an interesting construction. It’s worked side to side. I’ve completed the first sleeve, one front, and the back. Now I’m on to the second front. The stockinette is very curly and I’m concerned this is going to be small. But I believe in the pattern and my search. Blocking is indeed miraculous! I have faith 🙂