Arbitrary knitting rules be damned…I can’t quit my latest In The Light shawl.
The first color section is done and the first fade transition. I’m now in the second full section where I am holding C1 and C2. This was going to be my most pronounced transition but I’m happy with how well its actually blending.
I think I have a couple row more of this section before I start the second fade. After this second fade then I will be ready for a solid green middle chunk. This project is very squishy and warm.
I can tell this simple version is using less yarn than the fringed version, which is okay. I’ll have scraps for my scrappy project. And I shouldn’t be surprised as I’m knitting less stitches because there is no border. This project would work well for smaller put-ups or partial leftover skeins.
I will put this on pause to try and finish my Toxic Oreo Socks if I can ignore the “just one more row” urge. Happy Knitting!!
I was so thrilled with my Into The Light both for how much yarn it used up and how beautifully it turned out that I pulled yarn to make at least two more. And it was now that I realized I was using the wrong name for the project….its actually In The Light, lol.
This version is going to be a green version. I pulled two skeins of Cloudlover Fiber sock yarn that I bought literally before Jellybean was born, so six years ago! They are the Mag Mell and Mojito colorways are going to be my beginning and end colors. To pull this project together I chose a golden skein of One Twisted Tree sock yarn in the Forest Floor colorway. One Twisted Tree is no longer dying so this is a special skein for me.
For this go around with the pattern I am going to do the plain version instead of the fringed version I did the first time. I am chugging through the first color section. Holding these highly variegated yarn double really smooths the colors out and makes a nicely evenly colored fabric.
I’m pretty excited to get to the next color to see how things blend! Happy Knitting!!
My second Hurricane Hat is swimming right along. I think I am within an inch or so of starting the crown decreases. And I think I have a good shot of using up most of the yarn.
I did end up adding more stitches than the pattern called for to make the hat more adult/slouchy. Therefore I had to recalculate the number of stitches in-between the purl swirls. I think I did a pretty decent job though the crown decreases will also have to be recalculated. Drat…
Jellybean was side eyeing PB’s recently finished sweater and made the comment that I hadn’t made him anything in awhile. So we sat and talked about what did he think he wanted? He muddled it for a bit and decided a hat. So we went to my stash and I showed him some yarns to pick from. He ended up picking my West Yorkshire Spinners Aire Valley DK.
And then he promptly went off to play. I did make him come back and feel the yarn to make sure it was soft enough. This yarn has a little tooth to it and it’s definitely not merino soft. He still said yes this is what he wanted. So I took off to Ravelry and found an easy but yet cute hat.
I chose to hold this yarn double to get aran weight and knit the Hurricane Hat by Andrea Guldin (ravelry link). I’ve obviously made it super far into the ribbing, lol. But Jellybean seems delighted just to see have started. Eventually this hat will have a purl bump that spirals up the body of the hat ending nicely in the decrease. Or it will if I can correctly follow the pattern!
I am an accountant and I have the degrees and fancy certificate to prove it. But oh man, did I have a fail at counting. I have been religiously knitting away on my Hibernation Throw. And last night I looked down and swore a little. (Okay, a lot)
I had knit right past where I was supposed to add the next eyelet row. I failed to count to where I had five garter bumps. I was watching TV and the show must have really captured me because I was on auto-pilot. I do have the pattern memorized….I just lost count. I had added two extra garter bumps in my delirium.
I think I’m going to grab some smaller needles and thread in a lifeline to rip back. I just randomly grabbed US 10s when I hastily cast on this blanket. The fabric seems nice so I’m glad I made a lucky guess. But I think I’ll find some US 3s or 4s to thread in and see if I can rescue this without tinking two yarns held together.
I’m still over the moon with project because I love to see all the stripes forming AND seeing my scrap bin shrinking and shrinking. I just wish I could have remember to count, darn it!!
I have been seeing Helen Stewart’s Habitation Throw show up everywhere this holiday season on all the social medias and podcasts. Everyone was making them with their advent mini skeins. That didn’t really feel like what I wanted to do. But I couldn’t get this pattern out of my mind even though I have a ton of WIPs to be working on.
Finally I had a light bulb, I could hold my fingering weight scraps together with the giant cone of Valley Yarns Franklin Natural that I have. It a sock weight yarn on a cone with 6,000+ yards I had intended for my Northeasterly blanket. The Northeasterly blanket has not gone anywhere but I liked the idea of an easier marled blanket reinvigorated my blanket mojo.
Essentially this is a marled DK weight blanket. I had a little trouble getting the I-cord cast one set up but I managed and now zooming. And I’m ADDICTED, I can’t put this down and it’s all I want to knit. It’s corner to corner construction so I am just knitting until I feel it’s wide enough and then decreasing then. So I’m hacking the pattern a bit.
I’m just pulling scraps from bin and knitting until they are gone. I am also spit splicing the yarns together so I won’t have any ends to weave in. There has been some effort on my part to manage the colors. I don’t have a plan but I am trying for “planned randomness” and that the adjacent colors don’t look hideous next to one another.