Mods: I made the straps shorter than I measured my body/shoulders
All in all I’m really pleased with this project. It fits well and the yarn feels soft and warm against my sensitive bits. The straps are perfect and don’t slip off my shoulders. The shorter length was definitely a good idea.
I am not sure I would knit a whole drawer of these but I’m happy to have this piece in my wardrobe for those extra chilly days or evenings. I could see this as a warm under layer under a slouchy t-shirt or dress.
I am SOOO close to finishing this long languishing “sweater”. My DK Ripple Bralet is down to the one last strap.
Based on a lot of pattern notes and comments from others who have knit this bralet I have purposely knit the straps shorter than I would think they needed to be. The first strap is 12 inches where the measurement on my body is 14 inches.
I have the second strap on the needles and the first strap is on holders waiting for me graft it to the body. I really really hope to get this sweater finished this week. I have this urge to clear the needles before my Christmas Eve cast on!
After my first and failed attempt at the DK Ripple Bralet, I have successfully cast on and I’m well into my second attempt. This one is two sizes bigger than before and my gauge is in the zone.
I powered through the twisted 1×1 rib and I’m comfortably into the body of the bralet. I didn’t bother winding my yarn into a cake and I’m just working from my ball of yarn I made while frogging. I have virtual accounting leadership conference coming up soon and I’m hoping to power through more of the body.
Though it does take my brain some thinking to do 3×3 rib when my autopilot instinct is 2×2 rib. But after 10 years of knitting, my fingers can feel when I am trying to do the wrong stitch and it’s pretty easy to switch. Fingers crossed I can get this done before true winter sets in here in Kansas.
I got over my disappointment for my first attempt at the DK Ripple bralet and re-cast on. I went up two whole pattern sizes this time to account for my gauge in the first go around.
I managed to complete the stretchy cast on again and get working in the round for the 1×1 twisted rib. Twisted rib is not my favorite but it doesn’t last long for this project. I think I may sit this one aside for a bit until I can finish the sleeves on my Radiate pullover. I really feel like I need another FO win to boost my mojo.
So for now, I think I’ll stick to one sweater a time! Happy Knitting!!
Even with my decreased knitting mojo, I have been making decent progress on my DK Ripple Bralet. I completed the body and the shaping for the first strap. The pattern specifically tells you to knit with negative ease. So I chose an appropriate pattern size for my bust measurement BUT I didn’t gauge swatch. That was a poor choice.
When I slipped this sweater on to see how long I needed the straps to be….it was beyond sausage casing tight. It was completely unwearable. Even my husband could tell and raised an eyebrow at me, sigh.
Cue the sad violins…because this is what my bralet looks like now. I ripped that sucker right out. The good news was that I hadn’t gotten far enough to wear I needed to cut the yarn. So I still have one full complete skein.
I did measure my gauge before ripping so now I know I need to go up two full pattern sizes to get a fitting garment. So I’m choosing to think of that first attempt as a REALLY complicated swatch. I haven’t gotten around to re-casting on again. I hope that isn’t a bad sign. Maybe this project just needed a good cooling off period?
I am through 1×1 twisted rib and into the ribbed body. I needed to determine how far I was into the body but I didn’t have a knitting tape measure. But luckily my home improvement jag had a real deal tape measure laying around. Any tape measure will do right?
I got a wild hair this past week and decided to make a Ripple Brawlet DK in some precious Chromatic Yarns DK from my stash. I bought the pattern, skein-ed my yarn, kitted up a project bag and accessories. I was full of enthusiasm and cast-on-itis so I jumped right into the pattern. I then came to a screeching halt as the pattern called for an Old Norwegian Cast on. I don’t know how to do that one and after an hour on YouTube and complete concentration in a kid free environment…I had five stinking stitches.
I used many tutorials including the “slow” version by Very Pink Knits YouTube channel. I just couldn’t make it click with my brain and my hands. I really want to start this project so I think I’m going to use an alternate cast on that is also stretchy. I will learn the Old Norwegian Cast on someday….today is just not that day!