As promised, here is my finished Bifrost. It has had a good bath and blocking.
Pattern: Bifrost by Cate Carter-Evans
Yarn: Cloudborn Fibers Superwash Merino Singles in Antique White and Cornbread and Honey Superwash Merino Fingering in the 2019 Advent calendar
Needles: US 9s
Mods: I changed the cast on to 100 stitches
I definitely made a few mistakes in this wrap. I have increases where there should decreases and vice versa. I would count every so often and would almost always have more than the 100 I started with. I just chose to decrease those away and move on. So my wrap isn’t perfectly straight but its wonderfully warm.
I really like how the colors faded from purple through browns and finally towards teal. This project is LARGE. I used 2,172 yards of yarn that roughly equates to five and a half skeins of fingering weight yarn. I am super happy with this stashbusting project.
I would totally make this project again and I’m already daydreaming my next garter wrap!
The temperatures around here are slowly coming down. Enough for this momma to agree to a morning park adventure before it really gets crowded. COVID is flaring badly around here so I am balancing fun activities with safe activities. But this isn’t a COVID blog so I digress.
I packed my Bifrost along for the trip. I managed maybe two or three rows in between chasing kids across the massive park and pushing swings. But for a few minutes I was in the warm sun with soft yarn running between my fingers.
My Bifrost is speeding right along. I am through most of the purple minis and I’m in the neutral creams and browns. It’s starting to get heavy and warm in my lap!
Thanks to TV watching (and possibly a glass of wine) I have on occasion added an extra stitch here and there. I have decided perfection is my enemy in this case and when I discover the extras I am just decreasing them away. Makes for a few lumps and bumps but no one will EVER notice in a garter shawl of this size.
The one thing I am fixing is where I split the yarns. I am marling my 2019 advent minis with skeins of Cloudborn merino singles. So I want to make sure every stitch uses both yarns, for strength purposes. So when I discover those stitches I am dropping down to fix them.
I should be approaching halfway with this project and couldn’t be happier! Happy Knitting!!
I have my Bifrost back on track and I’m really pleased with this version. I ended up with casting on 100 stitches to make this more of a wrap rather than a scarf. I have even moved into the second color!
So far this second mini skein is just lighter more variegated version of the first mini. The first mini was a tonal purple. And this second is a variegated white/light purple. And the slipped stitch edge is making my orderly brain happy.
I have set an arbitrary goal of finishing this by September 1st and before the 2021 Pigskin Party KAL kicks off. No WIPs allowed in that one so I want to crank out this yardage before I move to scoring those touchdown points.
After I ripped out my Wool and Waves advent shawl AND getting my Cloudborn order in, I was ready to cast on my next garter shawl/scarf project. This is the last project I need to “finish all the advent yarn before the new advent yarn comes in the fall”, lol.
I picked the Bifrost pattern by Cater Carter Evans. And I started this project as the pattern instructed for stitch count and stitch pattern. But for one, I didn’t like the garter edging and I wanted a wider project. I did go up several needle sizes to try and make the scarf bigger. I just want more….
So I ripped back the whole darn thing. Which was, if I may say, a nightmare! The soft merino singles stuck to EVERYTHING and ITSELF. I did have to rip one section out and fix it itself. But I managed to get all the yarn back to ball state.
I took some gauge measurements before I ripped, so now I just need a few minutes to run some calculations in excel. I’m going to keep the stitch pattern but work in a slipped stitch edge. And I will cast on more stitches than the pattern….I just needs to do the math to determine how many.