At least six podcasts I listen to are doing a KAL called the #bigbadbergalong that involved knitting any Melanie Berg the designer. And the Down Cellar KAL is using this as the October interception challenge for the Pigskin Party KAL. Well I say challenge accepted!
I know I’m in need of more mits for winter so I chose the Ice Cream and Soda Mits. Super simple yet oh so cozy mits. Plus they aren’t a huge time commitment. So I pulled some Knit Picks Brava Worsted from my stash and zoom I went.
I struggled with my tension and carrying the yarn up the mit to reduce ends being woven in. Totally not the patterns fault, just my technique issue. The second was a little better.
The edges roll a little bit but they are super squishy and oh so warm. I’m ready for winter! And scoring some super cool points in the KAL!! Anyone else doing anything Berg related?
My OCD/planning has kicked into high gear while pregnant. I have a plan for the nursery, budget for daycare and diapers, and a tentative holiday schedule to get Jellybean to all the relatives. Our finances will definitely change post baby with fewer dollars for creative activities like knitting and video games. So the hubby and I sat down and for our anniversary we splurged on each other before the baby gets here.
Just enough for a couple of sweaters and several pairs of socks to stock up my drawer. I’m guessing what little knitting time I get after Jellybean gets here that socks will be my best “pick up/put down” project.
Pardon me I need to pet these lovelies before they got into my stash drawers 🙂
I did a bit of monogamous knitting the last couple of days. And so I actually have a FO to show you!
Well it’s done…but despite my best math and knitting know how it’s not quite right. Don’t get me wrong, the pattern is great! It’s written for small size only with directions/percentages given to help you “upsize” your garment. I should have been more meticulous…
Here it is anyway….
I completed this sweater in a little under a month. I used 3 skeins of Knit Picks Brava worsted in Wine knit up on size US 8 needles. I simple adore the color! (In math terms I used 657 yards or 300 grams of yarn)
I did my calculations and cast on 80 stitches and increased up to 149 total for the body section. I then knit 17 inches of stockinette up to the arm holes. Then I separated and knit another 7 1/2 inches of height for arms shoulders.
Now looking at the FO, here is what should have happened:
Cast on 90 stitches (ish) and worked up to 159 stitches (ish)
Knit 19 or 20 inches of stockinette before getting to the sleeves
Knit 8 or 8 1/2 inches for the shoulders/arm holes
Paid attention to the written directions and added increase at the corners of the knit border so it would curl.
This was supposed to have been a gift for a very lovely, elegantly tall, and slender friend. This sweater doesn’t have a snowballs chance in you know where of fitting the intended recipient in any flattering manner. So into my closet it will go after some additional aggressive blocking. I would like it to hit past my butt at least.
Instead my friend for her birthday shall get some local Kansas wine from grape vines that I helped to plant. That’s sort of like knitting her a sweater right? Sigh….
P.S. this is one of my last FO from my 2013 Stashbusting efforts! It’s #45 and I hope to have a post with my final year end stats soon!
I finished up the last of the stockinette body section (right at 17 inches) and promptly separated for the sleeves. God bless stitch holders!
Now I get to work just under 8 inches of arm/shoulder sections. They are worked separately and then seamed together using a three needle bind off. I’m well on my way to meet my January 15th deadline. And this the second to last project I need to finish for my 2013 stashbustin’ projects, yippee!!!
Now if you will excuse me, I have some quiet knitting and coffee sipping to do before I head off to my big kid job!
I’m onto the second skein on my Abalone! This simple knit has been going to work with me every day and getting some serious lunch time knitting.
Being a stockinette body…I had to use the clips to keep it from curling so I could take photo, lol! Don’t worry, it will get a garter stitch border to sort out all the nasty curling. This Knit Picks Brava Bulky has been a dream to knit with. I just love the feel of the wool/acrylic blend. And the color is divine, even in stockinette!
This is sort of a present and needs to be done in January. This will probably be my Christmas traveling knitting so I can be done with it by my deadline.
I fell in love with a photo for a pattern on Ravelry. One of those kismet situations where I was instantly hooked. Take a look, it’s Abalone by Beata Jezek…
(Photo is from the Ravlery page and all credit due to beatka’s flickr photo, it is amazing!)
I’ts a open front short sleeve worsted weight cardigan. It would be amazing over a long sleeve tee or even a simple tank top. I just HAD to make this. It’s even a free pattern. Only one problem, it’s only written for size small and I need a slightly bigger cardigan. Not to worry I perused the completed projects section on the pattern page and checked out other knitters modifications. The author included percentages for each section so you can back into your number stitches based on swatching and doing the math.
Based on my scribbles, I am going to cast on 80 stitches instead of 54. And I will work to 149 total stitches instead of 98. As swatch as my witness, I hope this works. I just love the color and the yarn! I am using Knit Picks Brava Worsted in Wine.
Now I’m off to grab my needles and cast on, Happy Monday!