As promised I snagged some better FO photos off of my parents front deck. They still have a ton of green foliage that isn’t long for this world but it sure made a pretty backdrop! This is my finished (and still not blocked) Modified Barley.
Pattern: (Heavily Modified) Barley by Tin Can Knits
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Worsted Merino Superwash Hand Dyed in the Lipstick colorway
Needles: US 6 and US 8
Modification: A TON! I took the stitch count for the adult medium and knit the hat without the garter panel. And for length I knit until it looked good enough and just started decreasing.
I am pretty happy with the finished size because it will surely grow with blocking as superwash yarn is want to do. I can wear the hat slouchy or fold the brim up and have a more traditional beanie fit. I only used about 172 yards or 79 grams of yarn to make this hat. I have a decent sized ball left, maybe enough for a pom pom?
This is definitely going into the gift bin for Christmas. It was such a quick knit that it makes me wonder why I don’t knit in worsted weight yarn all the time! And I highly recommend the Tin Can Knits patterns for excellent size inclusive and schematics for sizing.
I recently attended an annual conference for one of the professional organizations I belong to. It was two solid days hanging out in ballrooms listening to speakers. I have been knitting a lot on large sweaters lately and didn’t have a ton of “grab and go” knitting available to me. I had to do some stash diving and get something going just for “travel” knitting.
The night before the conference I hand wound a skein of worsted weight yarn and grabbed a set of interchangeable needles. This was a recent purchase of Plymouth Yarn Worsted Merino Superwash in the Lipstick colorway. I managed to establish the ribbing before walking into the first day of lectures. And then I quietly knit in my lap or under the table and this was my progress at the end of two days! I used the basic stitch count and sizing of the Barley hat from Tin Can Knits and just omitted the garter section.
It’s kind of hard to see squished up under the conference table but that is two inches of ribbing and about five inches of hat. I had a new-ish coworker with me and she was duly impressed. I think just a few more evening of knitting time and I will have a hat for my gift stash!
I also attended Schmancy cocktail event on the first night. I couldn’t help but snag a photo of the most grown up thing I have done in a dozen fortnights. I got to enjoy a good glass of red coupled with tasty hor’dourves in a proper bar. And no one wiped their cocktail sauce on me or threw asparagus chunks at me. It was non-mom heaven!!
This was a PERFECT pregnancy brain project. Easy to follow directions and a quick knit for that instant gratification! I only used 27 grams or 60 yards of yarn. After a good wash and block this hat should have enough stretch to get Jellybean through next winter!
I even have enough yarn to cast on for an adult size version so the hubby and I can have a hat to match Jellybean. (I’m more excited than the hubby if you can imagine that!)
Balancing my fatigue/all the time mornning sickness and desire to make adorable things for Jellybean is killing me! I have barely started my hexi-ghan. And by barely starting, I mean I have picked out two colors to alternate stripes in red-ish cotton and purple cotton.