It was so satisfying finishing my Modified Barley that was made in worsted weight yarn that I decided to put another worsted weight hat back on my needles. I pulled the KnitCircus Ringmaster skein that I got in their grab bag mystery sale. I still had my needles out from the last hat so I cast on 96 stitches and started working 2×2 ribbing in the round.
Well, I didn’t “just” start knitting. This skein of yarn was a prototype for their Four Seasons colorway and it had knots. I found four knots to be exact. So as I hand wound the ball I snipped the knots and used a Russian join to reattach the yarn to itself. My joins aren’t perfect but they will be smoother than the knots!
I pulled out my woolly hand knits and re-loaded my drawers for the Fall. I think I’m good for hats for myself. So this knit will probably go in the the charity or gift pile. It’s sort of machine washable so I feel comfortable setting it free into the world!
I recently attended an annual conference for one of the professional organizations I belong to. It was two solid days hanging out in ballrooms listening to speakers. I have been knitting a lot on large sweaters lately and didn’t have a ton of “grab and go” knitting available to me. I had to do some stash diving and get something going just for “travel” knitting.
The night before the conference I hand wound a skein of worsted weight yarn and grabbed a set of interchangeable needles. This was a recent purchase of Plymouth Yarn Worsted Merino Superwash in the Lipstick colorway. I managed to establish the ribbing before walking into the first day of lectures. And then I quietly knit in my lap or under the table and this was my progress at the end of two days! I used the basic stitch count and sizing of the Barley hat from Tin Can Knits and just omitted the garter section.
It’s kind of hard to see squished up under the conference table but that is two inches of ribbing and about five inches of hat. I had a new-ish coworker with me and she was duly impressed. I think just a few more evening of knitting time and I will have a hat for my gift stash!
I also attended Schmancy cocktail event on the first night. I couldn’t help but snag a photo of the most grown up thing I have done in a dozen fortnights. I got to enjoy a good glass of red coupled with tasty hor’dourves in a proper bar. And no one wiped their cocktail sauce on me or threw asparagus chunks at me. It was non-mom heaven!!
Thanks to some grandparents distractions and babysitting I managed to finish out the last of Dino Jr! Last we spoke I really only had the eyes and scales left to do.
I managed to dig through my mom’s button stash in her sewing room and find two pink-ish small buttons that made perfect eyes. Jellybean is old enough now I’m confident he won’t chew on and/or choke on them. And I don’t plan on letting PB play with this one. But I thought my button choice worked nicely.
The scales cranked out quickly and the only mod I made was to only knit two A scales instead of three. I knew I would never fit them all onto the dino without making them looked bunched up. My seaming technique leaves a little to be desired. But I erred on the side of making them Jellybean proof versus picture perfect.
All in all this was a fun knit and a good pattern. I need to work on reducing my ladders but I would probably knit this one again. And the bonus is that I managed to get this all complete out of sight of Jellybean so I’m considering tucking this away for a Christmas present!
If anyone is interested by notes, yarn usage, mods, etc are all on my Ravelry page for this project. This is probably an adventurous beginner pattern and I would say give it a whirl if you have a dino lover in your knitworthy list.
I spent some time cleaning this weekend and I found the Dino I was working on for Jellybean. I had cast on and just worked the head and put it down. That’s just silly! This is a worsted weight toy over not that many stitches. So I buckled down during naps and bedtime and cranked through the entire body. It really didn’t take that long at all and I kinda kicked myself for letting it languish. The hardest part was running out to Joanns for more fiber fill because I was out!
I need to do some massaging to get the stuffing evened out and the body less lumpy. And after that I just have four legs and the scales to knit. Surely by the grace of the baby nap gods I can get those done soon. This definitely needs legs as it kind of looks like a snail now, lol.
I have been woefully neglectfull of my #SockswithSarah KAL. My knitting mojo kind of went out the window during February and March. All I could manage was a few stitches here and there and only every so often.