Pattern: My own 72 stitch toe up vanilla sock “recipe”
Yarn: Biscotte Yarns Bis-sock in the Bullseye colorway
Needles: US 0s
I used roughly 300 yards of yarn or 70 grams of this skein of yarn. They socks are in between my normal tall socks and a shortie sock. I have absolutely no rhyme or reason why. I just got tired of knitting the first sock leg and put the cuff on. So I made the second one to match. Perfectly scientific, right?
They fit quite nicely and almost perfectly match. It’s getting warm enough that these will likely go right into summer sock storage. But I needed this win this week. I can’t control the world but I can knit some royally good socks!
I am pretty happy with how well I managed to plan the stripes and to get the socks to match. I did pull out some yarn to try and start at the same place. It’s not an absolute requirement for me in socks. But I do enjoy when they match.
I have cut in the space for the heel. I use the KirbyWirby afterthought heel with no waste yarn. It seems scary but it is really easy to do and doesn’t leave a hole at the corners. I can feel my mojo surging because I want a this finished socks SO BAD. The thought of new socks seems like the perfect balm to my soul right now.
I have a half finished object! I zoomed through the ribbing of my Bullseye Vanilla Socks and promptly inserted the afterthought heel.
I think despite any planning on my part, the heel fell perfectly in the stripe pattern. And the micro stripe worked out nicely inside the heel itself. And the icing on the cake? It fits nicely on my foot.
It is halfway between my shortie sock and my normal calf length sock. I’ll have to give these a few wearing to see how I like them in my boots and shoes. I’m hoping they stay on my heels well and don’t sag throughout the day.
I’m using my new Chia Goo Twist Shortie needles as an incentive to cast on the second sock. I think I’m going to use the shortest cord and smallest needles to test making the second sock!
I haven’t made a tremendous amount of progress on my Bullseye Vanilla Socks. The bronchitis really kind of put a dent in my energy level. But I decided to pull them out and get a feel for where my heel is going to be. I am just finishing a micro stripe on the cuff. I need to understand how much more cuff to add, if any at all.
For my foot shape and length I usually insert my heel at seven inches from the toe. My afterthought heels usually add two to two and a half inches of sock length. Following that formula my heel would fall in the middle of a speckle stripe. Which I think will be just right.
Looking at the sock as a whole, I think I will add just a smidge more ribbing. I think maybe three to four more rounds and then bind off in the speckle yarn. That should give me a nice finished look. Of course then I have to knit an entire second sock, but that’s a task for another day.
Despite my best efforts and all the special fluoride toothpaste I can buy….I have borderline healthy teeth. And this year I kicked it off with three cavities that needed filled. My mouth is FULL of pre-cavities and watch spots so this was not a surprise to me.
I hitched up my big kid pants and grabbed my knitting for my dental appointment. I knit my Bullseye Vanilla socks while waiting and while the dentist was working. I had two dental assistants and the dentist compliment my work and the fact I could knit without looking. It really is kind of fun to amaze the knitting muggles sometimes.
In the hour long appointment this morning I managed to knit a micro-strip and a full speckle stripe. I think at this point I have maybe four inches of sock knit up? These live in my purse of tote bag and I just pick them up when I have a few spare seconds. The colors are so deep and bright that they are livening up this grey January!
My sock needles have been conspicuously empty. I was in need of a simple vanilla project for some travel/meeting knitting so I went rummaging in my stash. I have had this Biscotte Yarns Bis-sock self-striping wound up for way too long. But it was ready to go so I pulled my size 0 needles out and hit the road.
I did manage to do the figure 8 cast on and get some of the toe increases established before leaving the house. I much prefer if this had been been to the “round and round” stage but I’m sure I can manage. The yarn is a pretty thin light fingering with a three ply structure. It has a mix of nylon and merino but I still plan on knitting this at pretty tight gauge to make the socks as hard wearing as possible.
I’m not mad at the speckled sections of this self-striping yarn. I’m interested to see how this next solid/tonal section works out!
I was a very good girl this year based on what Santa and others left under the tree for me! And it was a very knitty Christmas! I received blocking wires, a new ball winder, stitch markers, knitting t-shirts, yarn and stitch markers. It was so much more than I expected and I feel very blessed.
I wanted to share a few of my favorites from the bunch. My new winder is amazing! It’s a Starwood Needlecraft hand operated ball winder for those with inquiring minds. I have only done one skein but it was smooth and made a very tight neat cake. I can’t wait to play with it more!
I also received some Bis-Sock yarn from Biscotte Yarns. It’s a lovely mix of pinks and black that will make a lovely variegated project! This is the skein I test wound.
Next up is some Heathers Favorite Sock from T&H Fiber Works in a lovely mauve/pink color. My mother picked out this color so it might grow up to be something for her….
Lastly is a a pair of funny socks and a new wine opener. My current one falls apart every third use and I guess my parents got tired of putting it back together for me! So I have a new one to test out after PB is here and wine is okay again, lol.