This is a toddler pattern I made for Jellybean last summer. I knew I needed roughly 100 stitches to make an adult hat at my guage. So I just did the math to upsize the pattern instructions to fit. It was fairly easy using excel and some critical thinking.
The ear flaps were a tad long for my taste but the 15 year old loved it. I opted not to continue the spikes onto the forehead, it just looked weird on the adult version. Overall I’m very happy. The double thick brim and ear flaps makes a cozy hat. I might need to make this hat for myself in wool minus the Dino spike of course.
Grandma to the rescue! Thanks to her crochet skills Jellybean’s Minion Hat is done!! She sent me the minion eyes…
I still need to do some more tacking of the eyes to both secure them for baby hands and make them lay attractively.
The eyes are a little high and kind of googley are adorable nonetheless
I don’t have the stats on the total yarn used but it was a great stashbuster of leftover bits. It’s Caron Simply Soft in Sunshine, Black, Cobalt Blue, and White. My ravelry page is here.
Now I just need to figure out how to get Jellybean to model this and keep it on his head for more than 30 seconds. I think I have secured the necessary overalls for his Halloween costume but I still need to find a yellow shirt. Not to mention get my but in gear on the Gru scarf! It’s less than two months to Halloween!
As hoped I managed to finish the hat portion! It’s looking a bit big even for growing boy. But jellybean is not in the mood to try this one so I’m not sure yet.
I even started one of the spikes!
I’m not sure if it’s my execution or the pattern but it looks a bit messy to me. I think I’m going to play around with the next couple of spikes to find what I like. The pattern I’m using is this one. I’d like a smoother edge so I’m going to slip the edge stitches to see what kind of holes/edge that makes.
Just a quick post to show off my favorite Jellybean. Here he is in a teeny tiny Baby Sophisticate! (Mind you this lasted 10 minutes until he got an unnamed bodily fluid on it but it’s acrylic so into the wash it went!) Doesn’t he make the cutest tiny little old man?
Since Jellybean is going to be a fall baby I couldn’t resist whipping up a little Halloween fun. Since I’ll probably be in the throes of “new mommy fog” come late October this might also be Jellybean’s Halloween costume…
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in yellow and off-white and Vanna’s Choice in terra cotta
It’s coming along quickly! I upped my stitch count from the pattern 60 to 68 to account for the likely size of the offspring that comes from my 6’4″ husband, lol. Chloe is generously helping as well…okay she is mostly snuggling and snoring.
I’ve written before that my mother is also a “crafter” and I come by this urge compulsion hereditarily. Now she primarily sews, cross stitches, quilts, and crotchets. I stay firmly in knitting with a bit of sewing thrown in. Possibly a bit of mother/daughter rebellion?
But I digress….upon her last visit my mother brought this little crocheted gem for Jellybean’s nursery.
This is a delightful toy made from a book she picked up at Joann’s Fabric. (I can’t remember what the title was.) But momma whipped this up in no time out of some Caron Simply soft acrylic. I have named her Betsy, fitting don’t you think? Now to find her a place to live in the nursery…
I have no doubt that this is the first of many toys and grandma surprises. Jellybean is going to up to his or her eyeballs in yarny goodness between the two of us!
I used 217.7 yards of yarn or about 117 grams. This was just over half of one skein of yarn. The pattern is free and well written. I would definitely make this one again. My bind off at the hem went kind of wonky. Even blocking didn’t fix it all the way. Can’t decide if it bothers me enough to rip out and redo, lol. I do love the open neck detail that makes sure it fits over babies big noggin.
Now I just need to add buttons at the next. Nothing in my “button stash” fits the character of this garment. So I need to go shopping. Or….I’m seriously considering snaps. How easy would those be for a new mommy to fasten!? Any thoughts from the blogging world?
My knitting has been few and far between lately. But before I lost my knitting mojo, I did make some good progress on my Assisted Hatching sweater…
For a memory refresher, you can find the pattern here. I’m making the smallest size using Caron Simply Soft in Pagoda. My cast off edge at the bottom has quite a bit of curl….I may or may not rip it out and re-do it. I can’t decide yet. Next up, sleeves!!
I do love the side vent opening for baby’s big noggin. What a great way to get a good fit and not smush baby’s face as it’s going on!
My first Rye Sock is in the books!! After I got the hang of the pattern it went CRAZY fast!
I opted to do a few less decreases at the toe section because I have a wide foot and dislike when sock “cut in” too far. Thus the finished sock has more a straight/square toe. But it’s delightfully comfortable!
You can’t see it very well, but my Kitchener graft is sketchy and rough looking. Not bad for a first timer but definitely need more practice, lol!
Now I’m off to cast one the second one to avoid the deadly SSS!