Mods: I made this sweater longer in the body and sleeves. I also knit the back split hem longer than the front split hem.
My kitchener stitch is still slightly visible after blocking but not so much that a muggle will notice. I am VERY happy with the adjustments to this sweater. I feel like it suits my body type much better as a regular sweater and not as a tunic.
This took just over 6 1/2 skeins of the worsted yarn so that is roughly 1,380 yards of yarn. I had two different dye lots but using helical knitting I think they blended nicely. The average eye can see some flashing and striping but it looks intentional so I’m pleased.
Now I just need to plot my next sweater! Happy Knitting!!
And then during another re-run of NCIS I got the cuts made and un-raveled back to each set of live stitches. It was a little tricky ripping back due to the helical knitting method. But I managed.
Now I need to muster the alone time and mental preparedness to start Kitchener-ing roughly 300+ stitches. I was smart enough to put light bulb stitch markers on each first stitch so I could correctly re-assemble front and back.
Now I need to meditate before undertaking surgery. Happy Knitting!!
I did knit swatches for this project and the yoke fits beautifully. But my swatches weren’t huge so they didn’t account for the stretching that Malabrigo does especially with this much fabric. It’s a lovely tunic, but not what I wanted this project to be….
I also don’t love what it does to the widest party of my body, my hips and back 40. I didn’t insert any waist shaping so it’s all one box. The tunic would be better if it had nipped in at my natural waist.
I wore this around the house and muddled for a bit. I think I am going to insert needles and cut my sweater a bit. Based on measurements, I need to remove about four inches of sweater body. I can then Kitchener Stitch the hem back to the shorter sweater body. Wish me luck!!!
The split hem has both stockinette and ribbed components with the ribbed portions being worked on a smaller needle. The pattern calls for equal hem on the front and back but I think I am leaning towards a longer hem in the back.
I am pleased that it looks like I will have enough yarn to finish out this lovely sweater. I just need to buckle down and do the darn thing!
Just like the first sleeve, I decided not to cast off the sleeves. I will try this sweater on to determine the perfect sleeve length. I am back into the rhythm of round and round in the body.
I have the two skeins pictured in the photo, one more unused skein and some tiny balls left from the sleeves. So I will keep knitting until I run out of yarn, keeping in mind I need to have enough yarn for the bottom ribbed split hem.
I am taking sleeve island by storm! the first sleeve of my Super Simple Summer Sweater is complete and I have a great start on the second!
The sleeves took less yarn than I anticipated which makes me feel more comfortable about finishing the second sleeve. I’ll be able to use the same two skeins that will give the sleeves a consistent color look. I left the lightbulb stitch markers in so that I can match the decreases.
I purposely did not complete the bind off. I want to finish the sweater and try it on to see if the sleeves are too long or to short. I left some tiny balls of yarn tucked in the sleeves so that I can finish later. Not having the body complete, I didn’t want to risk it. I’d rather leave it open that unpick a bind off, lol.
I am cruising along on my first sleeve of my Super Simple Summer Sweater (Joji pattern). I managed to add in four more decreases during PB’s weekly gymnastics practice.
I can see some color striping and differences in the sleeves versus the body. But with this type of kettle dyed yarn, I don’t expect perfection. So far the decreases are fitting my robust upper arms just fine. It’s fitted without being stretched tight.
I am now more confident that I will get two sleeves out of the two cakes of yarn with leftovers enough to help finish out the body. I should be able to eek out long sleeves and a longer body, win win!!
I’m having to add in the second color lot of Malabrigo to this sweater. It is noticeable enough in dye lot difference that you can see in the sweater. But not so much that I’m going to cut and run on this sweater.
I am running now on yarn. I need to decide if I’m going to make full length sleeves or maximize the body. I could stop now and work on the sleeves and just use up whatever yarn I have left to complete the body. I might need to sleep on this one!
I am making the size 2XL but with a smaller gauge to land somewhere between a finished XL to XXL garment. Before dividing I had 500 stitches on the needles! Now I’m just cruising down the body for inches and inches.
The only thing I need to pay attention to is adding in my new yarn, this Malabrigo yarn has BIG differences in color so I am coordinating and alternating skeins to avoid pooling. Still might have some noticeable changes in the finished garment but I am doing the best with what I have.