I did some soul searching about my Mycroft. It has been on the needles with approximately 10 rows knit since November 2020. I just never felt like working on it. So I frogged it, life is too short to knit project that don’t speak to you.
I ripped out all the Malabrigo and decided to make a second Weekender by Andrea Mowry. This time in a bigger size than my first one. I like and wear my first one but I want a cozier and slouchier version. Plus the pattern is easy and having been through it once before, I know the ropes. I need easy in my life!
I have my yarn caked, needles pulled and project bag organized. All that is left is to rewatch a tubular cast on video and have some uninterrupted time to get the hems on the needles. After that it’s just sweater round and round!
I finally carved out time to get my Mycroft on to the needles. This was supposed to be my birthday cast on but after reading the pattern I quickly realized I didn’t have the brain space on my birthday to deal with the short rows.
And I was correct, this was a brain bending cast on and first rows. I had the printed pattern and I had cross out tiny sections of the written directions as I went. That, and I counted ALL THE TIME. And this is only the first short row. I have like so many more to do.
I have put this back in the bag for when I can come up for air and work on this one uninterrupted. Totally invested in this project and it looks to get easier after the short rows….but I gotta get there first, lol.
Mods: I added two inches of length to the body. And I knit custom sleeves where the decreases started at the elbow
I am probably one of the last knitters on earth to knit a Weekender. But I can see why it is so popular. It is an easy sweater to wear and to knit. I used just over five skeins of Rios, roughly 1,108 yards or 528 grams. I knit the 48.5 chest size with the modifications listed above. I am SUPER happy with my decision to alternate skeins. I think there is a some flashing and pooling but it’s consistent over the entire garment so it looks purposeful.
It is quite literally 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) right now in Kansas. I DO NOT need a worsted weight sweater so into the cedar chest this project goes! But this finished object has really revved up my garment mojo. I’m already casting on my next sweater that I will share with you on Monday.
I’m so close to finishing my Weekender that I’m making out of Malabrigo Rios. It was my first garment in Rios and my second time ever using Malabrigo. I might be in love…
I am also finding that my knitting mojo is really geared towards garments right now. My cup runneth over with scarves, gloves and hats but I don’t have many nice finished garments that show my current level of skill as knitter. And my stash is largely single or double skeins of yarn. I don’t really have any sweater lots. Which is why I fell hard when Twisted in Portland ran an online sale for Malabrigo Rios.
I managed to grab eight skeins of Jupiter which is a reddish brown variegation. Twisted was amazing and reached out before my order shipped to let me know that they weren’t all the same dye lot. They have five skeins in one lot and three in another and that they were markedly different. They even sent photos!
I decided to risk it. I’ll start my garment with the darker five skeins on the bottom and save the lighter skeins for hems, cuffs and/or collars. Maybe sleeves if I really have to. Part of my brain thought…I could find a five skein pattern for me and then use the last three skeins for a sweater for PB….
My Weekender is 99.9% complete and getting its bath now. I had some false starts and ripping back on the first sleeve to get a fit I liked. But once I had my plan settled I quite literally zoomed through the second sleeve. It was so much easier to just count my rows and know exactly what I was doing next.
Now you might notice I said 99.9% done and keen eyes will see some blue tape and needles in the photo. I finished the knitting of the sleeves but I very purposefully didn’t bind off. This yarn is Malabrigo Rios, which is a superwash yarn. Odds are that this garment is going to GROW depending on how I block it. So to keep my cords and needles nice I used some painters tape to just keep them just above the water line.
After its bath my intent is to pull this sleeves as wide as I can in the upper arms to see if I can buy myself just a teensy bit more ease. But the fabric is going to want to stretch lengthwise regardless. I left the sleeves live just in case I need to rip back and shorten the sleeves if they come out ridiculously long.
I’m hoping that all these precautions will keep my knitting karma in check, the sleeves will turn out fine and I’ll just be able to do the tubular bind off once the sweater is dry. Fingers crossed!!