I have been taking advantage of the lingering evening light and trying to get my butt out and walk in the evenings. It is still pretty cool here and a jacket is a must but it’s nice to have fresh air and beautiful sunsets.
For last night’s walk I took Dad’s Camo hat for a stroll. I’m still working on the main body of the hat. The camo colors are starting to pool and flash a little bit but I’m not going to fuss about it. It will be interesting to see what develops!
Supposedly it is fall in Kansas. I sure can’t tell by the 90+ degree days and 80% humidity. I took a walk around the capital building on my lunch this week and I melted!
I had my Cheery Vanilla Socks with me while I strolled. I was so sweaty that the yarn was sticking to my fingers like CRAZY. In a 40 minute walk I only managed five rounds of knitting because I kept having to futz with my tension and yarn.
I guess it’s five more rounds than I had before, and a couple thousand steps added to my daily goal. But I’m really pulling for sock weather to make an appearance!
I have been pretty diligent about getting off my rear end for lunch and walking. Aside from feeling less stressed and hitting my step goal most days. I’ve been adding more stripes to my Cheery Vanilla Socks.
It’s hard to see from this angle but I have about 5.5 inches of foot complete. I have a 9 inch foot so I like to get to 7 inches (or just shy of) before I add waste yarn for a forethought afterthought heel. Based on how much I get knit…I think I have three more walks and I’ll be at the heel!
Wednesday is Farmers Market day in downtown Topeka. It is a small but mighty affair every week. My favorite is the fresh baked bread you can find. But that kind of negates the health benefits of walking, lol. But I digress!
Today’s yarn on the go is brought to you by my Cheery Vanilla socks and their project bag that is much more suited for walking. This time I opted for a zippered sock bag with a fixed wrist strap. It still flopped around while I walked but none of the pesky twisting. I walked roughly 35 minutes and completed two stripes.
Now I also managed to snag a fresh tomato for BLT sandwiches. Because bacon is awesome, obviously.
I have been trying to put more “go” in my life and get off my tush and walk. I work in the heart of downtown Topeka and therefore have access to lots of cool places to to walk. Today my Dad’s Christmas Socks and I took a walk to the Capital building.
The project bag that these socks live in is NOT acceptable for walk knitting. It kept twirling and twisting up the yarn so that I would have to stop and unspin my bag. The bag (not pictured) is a drawstring bag by 19 Stitches. And it’s a wonderful bag for holding a project, don’t get me wrong. It’s just not great for walking.
As for the sock, I’m almost to the place where I need to weigh the yarn ball to see if I am close to 50%. I need to make sure I leave enough yarn for a cuff and a heel on sock number one and enough yarn for a complete sock number two. But i’m struggling to remember to do this in the evening after the end of what have been very long days lately.
I’m INSANELY close to finishing my Helping Hippos Vanilla Socks. And last weekend we spent some time at my parent’s house….which meant BABYSITTING! I’m also trying to up my daily step count for health initiative at work. So I decided to see if I could multitask!
I did managed to stay upright and add some decent leg length to my sock. Lots of people walk and knit, so why would a treadmill be different. Now, I don’t know that I would do this all the time as this particular treadmill is a little finicky. But it was an excellent use of my time on a cold winter morning when neither PB or Jellybean were glued to my hip.
What is the best thing you have ever multi-tasked while knitting??
As much as I would love to knit 24/7 I know my back 40 would never fit into pants ever again. I have a Fitbit and I’m recommitting to getting my steps as best I can every day. And boy did I rock it today!
I beat my goal and took a two hour nap! Maybe it’s just the spirit of the Olympic Games spurring me on!
On I’m on day four of vacation and thought I’d share an update of my “to-do” list:
1. Visit my best friend who also just bought a new house and is expecting her first baby later this year. Headed to see them tonight!
2. Visit my college friends who had a baby 2 months ago and whom I have not yet visited (I’m a terrible friend) Headed to spend today with her as soon as I get done blogging!! I’m super pumped but I have an hour and half drive in front of me….
3. Start Stashbustin #15 and work at least two color stripes. Not started yet.
4. Finish my Snug baby sweater (Stashbustin’ #16). Project is cast on but I only have 2 inches of completed work.
5. Finish my Mud Season #2 sweater (Stashbustin’ #17) Project is already off the needles, washed, and blocking as we speak!! So excited. This Mud Season turned out way better than the first. I should have photos by the end of the week 🙂
6. Walk 2 miles a day with the puppies. I figured out pretty quickly that the pups are not ready for 2 miles a day. So far now we are alternating walking 1 to 1/2 miles on even days and going to the local park for free play on the odd days. I’ll whip the pups into shape in no time! I have an app on my iPhone that is really helping me keep track of my workouts.
7. Get back to my regular Mon/Wed/Sat classes at the Gym….I really miss my fitness ladies.I did half a class on Saturday and the whole class on Monday. Don’t quite have my stamina back but it feels nice to be working out again.
8. Start the set up of my craft room….my very own craft room!!! (I don’t have all the necessary storage devices as we are bit tight in our budget and can’t afford them yet. But I need to do some cleaning and sorting before I get to putting away anyway) This is a big project and I’m still formulating a plan. To show you what I’m dealing with…I’ll show you photos of the “before”. Not all the boxes pictured are craft stuff. This room kinda became the dumping ground as we setup the rest of the house.
I have my work cut out for me. But that’s a project for Wednesday or Thursday. I’m off to spend the day with my best friend from high school.
Today marks the beginning of 10 days of freedom from the big kid job!!! I have to take five consecutive business days once a year and since we have the new house I couldn’t think of a better time. I have a mini vacation to-do list:
1. Visit my best friend who also just bought a new house and is expecting her first baby later this year
2. Visit my college friends who had a baby 2 months ago and whom I have not yet visited (I’m a terrible friend)
7. Get back to my regular Mon/Wed/Sat classes at the Gym….I really miss my fitness ladies
8. Start the set up of my craft room….my very own craft room!!! (I don’t have all the necessary storage devices as we are bit tight in our budget and can’t afford them yet. But I need to do some cleaning and sorting before I get to putting away anyway)
I may or may not get all this done….but I like having goals that stretch me. Wish me luck!!!